size of vermont castings defiant 1910

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gloves12

Aug 16, 2016
Minnesota
I'm having a hard time pulling this up in google - I saw somewhere they have a 3 cubic foot firebox. Can anyone confirm that? In a small house (1 story rambler with basement, 1600 square feet, not very open) would this stove totally cook me alive? Or would it be about right?

http://www.discountstove.com/uploads/5/2/6/0/52607107/1910_manual.pdf

page 4 says:

Range of heat output.......... 10,600 to 44,400 Btu’s/hr.*
Maximum heat output........................ 55,000 Btu’s/hr.**
Area heated............................ Up to 2,400 Square feet
Fuel Size/type ................................. 22 - 24” hardwood
Fuel capacity ................................................ 50 pounds

Hmmm - no cubic feet of firebox though =(

50LBS - seems like that would be close but on the less hand side of 3 cubic ft. VC stoves aren't very popular here, Ive personally never ran one myself but I heard through members here that these stove tend to have very expensive repairs, and some parts you cant even fine anymore.
I have a ranch house that is about 1500sq feet, my first stove was upstairs in the main living area, 8ft ceilings, closed rooms and had a us stove 2500 that would cook me out of the living room, at the time the back of my couches faced a set of windows and it was really weird feeling the snow from a blizzard blowing on the back of you neck while the front of your body was being cooked alive.
I upgraded my stove to a blaze king princess and moved the whole setup to the basement, it was one of the best things I ever did, it work for some, fails for others.

Reactions: gloves12
50LBS - seems like that would be close but on the less hand side of 3 cubic ft. VC stoves aren't very popular here, Ive personally never ran one myself but I heard through members here that these stove tend to have very expensive repairs, and some parts you cant even fine anymore.
I have a ranch house that is about 1500sq feet, my first stove was upstairs in the main living area, 8ft ceilings, closed rooms and had a us stove 2500 that would cook me out of the living room, at the time the back of my couches faced a set of windows and it was really weird feeling the snow from a blizzard blowing on the back of you neck while the front of your body was being cooked alive.
I upgraded my stove to a blaze king princess and moved the whole setup to the basement, it was one of the best things I ever did, it work for some, fails for others.

Awesome thanks, that really helps. Someone is selling a 1.5 cubic foot steel stove much closer to me, now I'm leaning more towards that, especially because the stove will be on the main floor, wich is only like 1000 square feet. Cheers.

FWIW, VC lists the Defiant at 3.2 cu ft.

I agree with Kenny on the subject of VC's popularity.

A 1.5 cu ft stove is small and will require constant tending. Only you can decide what works best for you but I think you will be happier with your choice if you research and ask some more questions before committing to something to quick.

Is there a chimney set up in the home?

Do you have seasoned wood on hand?

I apologize if you have already answered these questions.

FWIW, VC lists the Defiant at 3.2 cu ft.

I agree with Kenny on the subject of VC's popularity.

A 1.5 cu ft stove is small and will require constant tending. Only you can decide what works best for you but I think you will be happier with your choice if you research and ask some more questions before committing to something to quick.

Is there a chimney set up in the home?

Do you have seasoned wood on hand?

I apologize if you have already answered these questions.

I don't want to rush into something, for sure - good advice. I've been reasearching this pretty seriously for the past week, so I think I have an okay idea of what I want. At 3.2 cubic feet, the VC is going to be too big for me, thanks much for finding that number! Thanks for the thoughts about VC in general too, that helps.

I've been going by the guideline that an under-2 cubic foot stove is "small" and will heat one large room, or maybe a few small rooms if they are open and well-connected. If you want to heat an entire small house like mine, you want a 2-3 cubic foot stove.

I'm hoping to supplement my gas furnace by heating my two main rooms - the livingroom and kitchen, about 600 square feet - with this stove, and I'll mostly only be burning weekends and evenings, since no one is home durring the day. If some heat trickles down the hall into the bedrooms, that's awesome, but not required. It will be a bit of an experiment to see how the heat moves arround.

No chimney in my house, but there is a nice spot in the middle of my house (inner wall of my living room) for me to add a stove-pipe chimney, so that's the plan. =) Worst case, I'm out $500 for the second-hand, clean and well cared for steel stove, and I can sell it again and try one step bigger.

What steel stove is it? There are some out there that would be a great deal at 500 some that dont cost allot more than that new so not a great deal used. And I agree with others I would stay away from vc till they get their reliability issues straightened out. Hopefully under hearth and home they will be able to do that.

What steel stove is it? There are some out there that would be a great deal at 500 some that dont cost allot more than that new so not a great deal used. And I agree with others I would stay away from vc till they get their reliability issues straightened out. Hopefully under hearth and home they will be able to do that.

It's a Vogelzang Shiloh, pretty cheap stove, nothing fancy. But it's actually un-used: I'm buying it from someone who bought it and then never used it. The Shiloh got fine reviews on the three sites I checked, so I feel pretty comfortable with it, as a start. =) https://stcloud.craigslist.org/for/5726574181.html

I say keep looking vogelzang and their parent company us stove works sell some of the worst stoves out there and that one in particular has its primary air intake at the top front of the firebox. This can allow co to escape out of that intake when the fire burns down. And yes I know it can happen because I was called out to find the source of co in a case of co poisoning. Luckily the daughter survived but you may not be so lucky. As far as cheap stoves go I would look for an Englander or one made by sbi.

I say keep looking vogelzang and their parent company us stove works sell some of the worst stoves out there and that one in particular has its primary air intake at the top front of the firebox. This can allow co to escape out of that intake when the fire burns down. And yes I know it can happen because I was called out to find the source of co in a case of co poisoning. Luckily the daughter survived but you may not be so lucky. As far as cheap stoves go I would look for an Englander or one made by sbi.

Yikes! Hmm, ok, shoot. The only other option I can find locally is a quadrafire 2100, what's your opinion there?

EDIT: I should check a few more department stores, the englander you suggested looks way more affordable, good call.

Quad makes very good stoves the only thing to watch for on quads is cracking on the internal air manifolds. They make a repair kit for that but it costs a couple hundred bucks.

OP, I would take a good hard look at the Englander Madison. I have one, so I may be a bit biased because I love it so much, but I think it'd work out well in your situation. Also, not sure what you mean about the inner wall of your living room, but just please make sure you have proper clearances from all walls/combustibles.

Listen to Bhollar on the vogelzang and us stove, like I said earlier, I had a us stove and it heated well but didn't last, the dam thing fell apart on me, the firebox around the door area (all 4 corners) developed cracks ranging between 1/4" to almost 1" the replacement door gasket that us recommended did not fit, it was way to small, the casting in china was probably in millimeters and there conversion didn't match us units, the reburn tubes corroded and fell apart, the mounts for the reburn tubes kept breaking when trying to remove (you need to do this for cleaning on most epa stoves) and the single large baffle board was getting very flakey. In general not worth the $800.00 at tractor supply.
The Englander stove company is a very well regarded company here, I have also installed and ran a NC30 at my friends house, its a simple but built like a tank stove, good strong thick steel, good engineering, reliable, great resale.
Take the specs of the Englander stove and match it to any other cheaper stove that's the same size and look at the weight difference, you'll see what I'm talking about, plus Englander is made in the USA in Virginia, so you'll keep America going.

Listen to Bhollar on the vogelzang and us stove, like I said earlier, I had a us stove and it heated well but didn't last, the dam thing fell apart on me, the firebox around the door area (all 4 corners) developed cracks ranging between 1/4" to almost 1" the replacement door gasket that us recommended did not fit, it was way to small, the casting in china was probably in millimeters and there conversion didn't match us units, the reburn tubes corroded and fell apart, the mounts for the reburn tubes kept breaking when trying to remove (you need to do this for cleaning on most epa stoves) and the single large baffle board was getting very flakey. In general not worth the $800.00 at tractor supply.
The Englander stove company is a very well regarded company here, I have also installed and ran a NC30 at my friends house, its a simple but built like a tank stove, good strong thick steel, good engineering, reliable, great resale.
Take the specs of the Englander stove and match it to any other cheaper stove that's the same size and look at the weight difference, you'll see what I'm talking about, plus Englander is made in the USA in Virginia, so you'll keep America going.

Thanks, good to here it. I'm leaning that way for sure. Thanks everyone for the input, this forum has been super helpful.

Don't ever be afraid to ask questions here, this place is like a big think tank and everyone tries to help each other, there's tons to learn, and it's all about safety, when you get experiance under you belt you start posting helpful things, if not post pics of your wood pile and the stove in action!!

The good new is you have now ruled out Vermont Casting and Vogelzang. Your prospects can only get better from here;)

The Englander Madison mentioned above, or Englander in general, also mentioned above, can be found at the big box stores and are solid, well built stoves sold at a good price point.

Keep in mind though, the stove itself is only part of the equation. Any stove you choose in any price range will let you down without a good draft and dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.