Slate install went well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
The pics aren't the best because my wife has the good camera at camp and I had to use my daughter's. It went really well and now we are one step closer to the install. Enjoy!

Before:
fireplace001-1.jpg

Carpet removed to show UGLY gold and white tile:
fireplace003.jpg

Two done and one to go:
fireplace005.jpg

Done, (well sorta, we still need to grout and all)
fireplace007.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pic, no time to fix it right now.

fv

hmmm, no comments. Either means no one likes it or they think there is something wrong and don't want to burst my bubble. The stove is being set on the hearth, not on the slate. Either way, I'm happy with it.

fv

Quiet day here. It looks neat as a pin. Nice clean job. Now for the grout. :)

Thanks, I'm taking the easy way on the grout using the caulking gun style. Many on here recommended that since the slate is porous and it will be hard to clean it off the tile. So that will be either tomorrow or Friday.

fv

How will you finish the transition between the cut-out carpet and the new slate? Rick

wood trim.

fv

Looks good to me so far. I am working on (In my mind) a corner install for a Oslo. I am contemplating trying to put some tile in myself. The other option is a purchased hearth pad. I found some for as low as $420 (most go for 600) for the size I need.

Question: how much time do you have into the hearth?? and if you do not mind, how much cost do you expect in it at the end?? I think probably will cost me a couple hundred or slightly less to build one myself. No tools, or wood or other materials.

Thanks. Lance

eyefish2 said:
Looks good to me so far. I am working on (In my mind) a corner install for a Oslo. I am contemplating trying to put some tile in myself. The other option is a purchased hearth pad. I found some for as low as $420 (most go for 600) for the size I need.

Question: how much time do you have into the hearth?? and if you do not mind, how much cost do you expect in it at the end?? I think probably will cost me a couple hundred or slightly less to build one myself. No tools, or wood or other materials.

Thanks. Lance

Did a corner install myself on my Oslo . . . do yourself a favor and build your own . . . it should look just as good if not better, you can build it so it exceeds the specs from the pre-made one and every time you look at it you'll have a real sense of pride . . . oh yeah, it also will save you a lot of money -- you should be able to put one in for $100-$150 and it will exceed what you need for a hearth.

It took me maybe half a day to build the hearth and that was for a guy who had never done any tile work before . . .

I built mine with two layers of plywood . . . attached Durock (the original stuff . . . now I would go with something different I think) . . . taped the seam . . . put down some 1/4 inch slate tile that I was given free of charge several years back (although I did have to buy another box) . . . grouted the lines . . . sealed . . . admired my handiwork.

In order to clean grout off slate using the traditional method, use a peice of burlap and sawdust. It actually polishes the slate. Take it from some who has done quite a bit of slate tile work. Personally i think slate and hearths go together like two peas in a pod.

eyefish, right now I have about $45 into it but I got the slate from my dad's house after he died (he bought it for a project but never used it) so my cost is low. I also didn't have to build mine up since the stove will be in the fireplace, merely spark protection. It took my father-in-law and I about two hours so far and I am guessing about another two (tops) to grout and trim it off. It was incredibly easy to do and now I am looking at other places I want to put tile because I enjoyed it. Do it yourself, you won't regret it!

fv

Yes, that looks very nice fireview. You do good work.

Very nice job FV! Did you use cement board under the tile? I was going to slate originally but decided to look at tile and was surprised how nice it was plus it was very inexpensive.. Look forward to the finished product!

Ray

Looking good. Will be even better with the Fireview sitting there blazing away.

Thanks everyone, now it looks like I was pandering for compliments :-S

No cement board underneath since the stove is not sitting on it.

fv

fireview2788 said:

fv

The reason for the cement board underlayment is stability and bonding. This area will undergo regular temperature swings. Wood is going to expand at a different rate than the tile.

BeGreen said:
fireview2788 said:

fv

The reason for the cement board underlayment is stability and bonding. This area will undergo regular temperature swings. Wood is going to expand at a different rate than the tile.

+1 << What BG said.. That's what I was thinking.. ANY flex in the floor will lead to broken tiles or slate..1/2" thick (minimum) cement board (Durock) is inexpensive and if you thinset between ALL layers you'll get a rigid surface and that tile will last for many moons unless you drop an anvil on it :)

Ray

I just noticed this was done over old tiles. If they are ceramic tiles, there may be cement board underneath them. Out of curiosity I'm wondering why the large hearth extension for a side loading stove with no front door? The Fireview only requires 8" in front. Are you planning for an upgrade? No harm for sure. It will give you a large area to set down an armload of wood, ash bucket, etc.

Slate was installed on top of tile that was on top of poured cement, no flex and very smooth.

As far as the slate in front, it's mostly for ambiance and some for fire safety. No other reasons for it than that.

Those also things I didn't think of, much easier than cleaning the carpet!

BTW, install date is 8/23....can't wait.

fv

fireview2788 said:
Slate was installed on top of tile that was on top of poured cement, no flex and very smooth.

As far as the slate in front, it's mostly for ambiance and some for fire safety. No other reasons for it than that.

Those also things I didn't think of, much easier than cleaning the carpet!

BTW, install date is 8/23....can't wait.

fv

Sounds solid FV good luck! We look forward to the pics!

Ray

Yep, no problem with that. The new stove is going to look nice in that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.