Slow motion burn and flue temp question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My wife used her fancy phone to capture a pretty nice slow motion video of a nice show in the cabin stove...

Enjoy!

Any my question: I can burn this stove quite low it seems. Following the usual way, getting things good and hot, 3/4 full box (only a few large splits in this stove), vigorous burn for 15+ mins for charring, dial it back to lazy flames in a couple of steps etc. and still my flue temps can stay quite low. Often they can max out at 500 and quickly drop down to 400 or below when dialled back and cruising. Usually stove top slightly higher than flue.

What with the whole "get it hot now and again" belief, I'm hoping that my clean glass and no smoke out the stack truly indicates we're still burning pretty cleanly. Any thoughts?

And as for that funky video... not exactly the fully separated ghost flames we all know (we'll have to do another!) but still a cool effect with the slo mo:

Clean glass and no visible smoke are pretty good indicators of a clean burn . . . burn away.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Nice light show too!

Reactions: Nigel459
Very cool vid!
Same stove. Same routine in a nutshell. Low flue temps are my norm. I run mine hard on restarts as recommended. Get the flue hot during the restart routine and then shut it down.

Sounds like you guys got er figured!

Welcome to the wonderful world of blaze king. If your wood is good then you can burn them very very low. You will start to see some dirty glass on the bottom corners no mater how good your wood is. It is part of the trade off from burning very low, or you can burn slightly higher and get less crap on your glass.

Me I burn it on high till the cat goes into active then turn it as low as it goes no mater what the out door temps are. Seems like it burns a little hotter when its really cold out on its own. On hot reloads I just burn on high for 5 minutes or so then back on low.