Slow to heat up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
After a cold start this morning with a room temp of 62 degrees, I am one hour into my fire and the dead center stone sits at 198 degrees from my infrared thermometer. Flue collar temp is 298 and the double wall 2 feet above the stove is 152 degrees. She's slow out of the starting gate for sure. Wood is at least a year old mix of hardwoods, none of it being oak.

The dead center stone still sits at 200 degrees after a little over an hour, but the rear burn tube reading is 426 degrees and the reading off the center of the side door is 418. I would not expect the side door to be 200+ degrees warmer than the top. Must have something to do with the thickness of stone at the top.

I'm having same problem this morning. It is 34 degrees here guess that big ol' stone chimney needs a lot to heat up this mornin'

Center stone at 3.5 hours.

Slow to heat up

Coal bed temp at 3.5 hours. I still have no idea how anyone gets stove top temps at 700. Even my coals aren't that. LOL!

Slow to heat up

This morning was brutal for stove starting.

Mild temps, plus the rain, plus the wind, it took forever. The 30 is still sluggish 4 hours later.

This morning was brutal for stove starting.

Mild temps, plus the rain, plus the wind, it took forever. The 30 is still sluggish 4 hours later.

This. Here, I started with kindling and a few splits, that took right off but everything went right up the chimney. Dialed down the air but that didn't slow it. I finally put in a bigger load (2/3 full maybe?) and nursed it for close to an hour before I got it to 300. Now it's 600+ on the top.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I still have no idea how anyone gets stove top temps at 700. Even my coals aren't that. LOL!

Don't try to bring that stove up to over 600F. You should not be shooting for metal stove temps.

MONITORING STOVE TEMPERATURES
Monitor the stove temperatures with a stove thermometer
(available from your dealer) placed on the top center stone
of the stove. The thermometer could read as high as
500°F(260°C) on High Burn and 200-300°F(93-149°C) on
low burn. Maintaining temperatures in excess of
600°F(316°C) will cause the stones to crack and other
damage to the stove.

There were some days with the Heritage where I could have that top center stone sitting at 450 30-40 minutes into the burn. Other days it seemed like science was against me.

Reactions: Dairyman
Don't try to bring that stove up to over 600F. You should not be shooting for metal stove temps.

MONITORING STOVE TEMPERATURES
Monitor the stove temperatures with a stove thermometer
(available from your dealer) placed on the top center stone
of the stove. The thermometer could read as high as
500°F(260°C) on High Burn and 200-300°F(93-149°C) on
low burn. Maintaining temperatures in excess of
600°F(316°C) will cause the stones to crack and other
damage to the stove.

Begreen. I had never monitored temps before today with my thermometer. I need to get a thermometer for the center stone admittedly. I was more playing around with measurements. I don't have a full load or really small splits going right now. I'm too much of a sissy to ever run it too hot. I get nervous when I smell the paint fumes from the flue. I appreciate your guidance on what a normal range is. I'll keep that in mind when I'm judging what a hot fire should be.

There were some days with the Heritage where I could have that top center stone sitting at 450 30-40 minutes into the burn. Other days it seemed like science was against me.

You are a whiz with that stuff too.

This. Here, I started with kindling and a few splits, that took right off but everything went right up the chimney. Dialed down the air but that didn't slow it. I finally put in a bigger load (2/3 full maybe?) and nursed it for close to an hour before I got it to 300. Now it's 600+ on the top.

What is the max temp you will aim for?

I'm burning my coals way down but now you guys have me wondering if I will ever be able to get the stove back up to temp. ;lol

Sure miss the ash pan. I wouldn't be letting the coals burn down so far if I didn't have to shovel out the ashes now...

I like to let the coals burn down because I think the stove burns better when there a re only minimal coals at startup...and the ash burns down so well that I only ampty about once a wekk (heating 24/7), at the end of an overnight burn. Never have had an ashpan, and deliberately ordered my PH without one.:)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Firecracker when you buy your stovetop thermometer get a flue probe. I find it to be a geat help on getting the stove dialed in quicker.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Firecracker when you buy your stovetop thermometer get a flue probe. I find it to be a geat help on getting the stove dialed in quicker.

Is that just a thermometer that sits on the flue?

Is that just a thermometer that sits on the flue?
If that's black stove pipe, one of the magnetic surface thermos will work. If it's stainless you'd have to drill a hole to fasten the surface thermo or insert a probe thermo, generally at 12-18" above the collar but the instructions will tell you...

After a cold start this morning with a room temp of 62 degrees, I am one hour into my fire and the dead center stone sits at 198 degrees from my infrared thermometer. Flue collar temp is 298 and the double wall 2 feet above the stove is 152 degrees. She's slow out of the starting gate for sure. Wood is at least a year old mix of hardwoods, none of it being oak.

Something is drastically wrong here. Two questions come to mind. What wood and how much did you put in there and are you sure the draft was full open to start the fire?

On the temperature, although the Woodstock stoves are fine at 700 degrees, as BeGreen stated, the Hearthstone only wants 600 maximum. Still, that thing should heat better than that.

fwiw, when I got up this morning I started a fire using 2 small splits and 4 pieces of lumber cut-offs. By the time I finished breakfast I turned the cat on as stove top was 240 degrees and flue was 450. Temperature on stove top peaked at 450 but that was enough to heat the house. Most times we'll get at least 500-550 stove top even with small fires. Bigger fire we usually top out anywhere from 550-700.

mfglickman said:
This. Here, I started with kindling and a few splits, that took right off but everything went right up the chimney. Dialed down the air but that didn't slow it. I finally put in a bigger load (2/3 full maybe?) and nursed it for close to an hour before I got it to 300. Now it's 600+ on the top.​
"What is the max temp you will aim for?"

(I had to copy and paste that quote for some odd reason as when I hit "Reply" I got nothing.)

firecracker, again, do not compare your stove with the Woodstock stove. Hearthstone does not like anything over 600.

mfglickman said:
This. Here, I started with kindling and a few splits, that took right off but everything went right up the chimney. Dialed down the air but that didn't slow it. I finally put in a bigger load (2/3 full maybe?) and nursed it for close to an hour before I got it to 300. Now it's 600+ on the top.​

(I had to copy and paste that quote for some odd reason as when I hit "Reply" I got nothing.)

firecracker, again, do not compare your stove with the Woodstock stove. Hearthstone does not like anything over 600.

I have never had a thermometer for this thing. started playing around taking readings with my infrared thermometer this morning. center stone never went over 380 all day. I'm not cranking it. It's a little too warm yet. I have no desire to damage the stove or my property. I will chicken out at 500.

mfglickman said:

I have never had a thermometer for this thing. started playing around taking readings with my infrared thermometer this morning. center stone never went over 380 all day. I'm not cranking it. It's a little too warm yet. I have no desire to damage the stove or my property. I will chicken out at 500.

No need to chicken out at 500. You very well may need the extra heat when winter gets here. That stove should take up to 600 with no problem and I'm sure they have a built in safety net too.

Reactions: Dairyman
Status
Not open for further replies.