Slowing down the blower fan switch? Englander 17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey guys, just wondering how a guy would rig up something to slow the blower fan down, or make it adjustable to suit the situation?? I have an Englander 17 which came with a blower included that hooks up to the back.

It has high and low, and I never use the high setting, and it's quite noisy even on the low setting. I'd be fine with it blowing half of low speed, or even less depending on the weather. Any thoughts on a safe and cost effective way to go about this?

Hey guys, just wondering how a guy would rig up something to slow the blower fan down, or make it adjustable to suit the situation?? I have an Englander 17 which came with a blower included that hooks up to the back.

It has high and low, and I never use the high setting, and it's quite noisy even on the low setting. I'd be fine with it blowing half of low speed, or even less depending on the weather. Any thoughts on a safe and cost effective way to go about this?

you can use a variable speed fan controller. make sure the blower is on its highest setting. DO NOT use a dimmer as it changes the voltage you need to change the frequency and maintain voltage. lastly make sure the fan controller has a higher amperage rating than the blower motor. I would just install the controler in a handy box and wire to a Foursquare with an outlet in it. Good luck.
KC, master electrician, Regency technician

Reactions: RickBlaine
You can get a router speed controller cheap from harbor freight, it work on the same principle as a fan control. The above poster is right don't try to use a dimmer. Motors don't like reduced voltage.

Thanks guys, I'll have to see what we have around here for stores with router speed controllers.

Bathroom fan controllers are easy to find. Get one of a higher amperage rating than the blower it is controlling.

Reactions: fire245
Status
Not open for further replies.