Small black crumbs on top of my stove -- Should I be concerned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

High Desert Dennis

Nov 10, 2023
Yucca Valley, CA
Hey there.

So first, for context:

I cleaned my stove last week, and feel I did a fairly thorough job. It's a standard installation, insulated flue-pipe 10" outer, 8" inner. I used an 8" poly brush, ran it from roof to stove, and back up until the creosote was off the sides of the pipe.

I also replaced the baffle-blankets and the baffle-gasket. Only noob mistake was not putting a rag in the air intake tube, so I had to vacuum it out.

When I first fired it up there was a lot of smoke, but once I got it rolling for a few burn cycles the smoke cleared up (both in the stove, and out of the chimney) and everything has seemed fine since. To be thorough, I ran a Creosote Buster log.... not quite sure why, just seemed like maybe it couldn't hurt to do so.

AAAAANNNYWAY..... my question is: I'm seeing a few little black crumbs on top of the stove as I burn. When I say a few, I mean just that.... 10-20 at most, scattered about.... like what your plate would look like after eating a piece of burnt toast over it. The pipe itself isn't compromised, so where are these coming from, and should I be concerned?

TIA

Look reeeaaallly close. Are they dead ants? I get them sometimes on the first fire or two of the season.

UPDATE: Hate to be that guy, but I really need some guidance here. 🙏 Please see below for steps taken. Numbers correspond to attached pics.
  1. My 2007 Pacific Energy Super 27, shown for context. Came with my newly purchased house. I'm learning that previous owners made some questionable DIY choices.

2. The flue-pipe going into the ceiling support. When I shake this pipe gently, creosote flakes rain down onto the top of the stove.

3. An image of the creosote that fell onto the stove when I shook the pipe.

4. An image of the insulated pipe (10" outer, 8" inner) going through the attic, after removing the "radiation shield" (sheet metal that looks like it was cut with a hatchet). Notice the creosote-stained water marks running down the pipe.

5. A closer look at the ceiling support from the attic-side. It is filled with about 1/4' of creosote that looks like it may have been there for a while. Note: there is a slight gap between the 10" pipe and the ceiling support.

6. The spark arrestor that was being run by the previous owners, which sits atop a faux chimney.

7. The spark arrestor partially removed, showing creosote build-up at the top, and illustrating the gaps on either of the 10" outer pipe. My theory is that the creosote build-up in the ceiling support (in the attic) accumulated over the years, falling down on the outside on 10" pipe and ending up in the little square pan.

8. The spark arrestor I put on as a replacement, which fits snugly around the 10" pipe, and has a storm collar fitted around it, and caulked. It has rained heavily since this modification, and no water.
👉👉👉 So I'm thinking that if I get up in the attic with a dustbuster and suction out all that creosote, chances are there will not be any more accumulation due to the new spark arrestor (and due to my having brushed the pipe clean recently). Does this sound reasonable, or am I way off here?

I'm admittedly a bit spooked after reading THIS post: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...d-skin-of-flue-and-falling-into-house.166758/

Thanks in advance.

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png

Last edited:
This looks like someone adapted an old air-cooled pipe to the wood stove. If so, it is not certified Class A HT 2100º chimney that is required for this stove, the temperature rating is much lower. It should be replaced with a proper class A chimney.

This looks like someone adapted an old air-cooled pipe to the wood stove. If so, it is not certified Class A HT 2100º chimney that is required for this stove, the temperature rating is much lower. It should be replaced with a proper class A chimney.

Ah man. I was afraid of that. Crap. This explains a lot. A guy in a FB DIY group said:
I installed these appliances for ten years for a living. The pipe inside the living space should be put together with upper pieces fitting inside the piece below. This keeps creosote and ash inside the pipe and when brushed it would fall inside the stove. The pipe that is in your attic space almost appears to be the wrong style of pipe and the piece at the spark arrestor appears like it may be upside down. The class A chimney pipe should fit together and twist lock into place. The inside pipe when fitted onto the piece below it fits inside the lower piece and the outer piece should fit over the outside of the piece below. The top of the pipe should have a cap that is designed to be used with class A chimney that keeps the cooling air (space between inner and outer pipe) separated and provides a built in spark arrestor.
When you vac out the creosote I suggest using a shop vac with a Sheetrock dust filter. If the outside of the pipe was streaked that badly though I believe you have some issue with the way it was installed potentially or there is a severe need for cleaning. The faux chimney should have been stopped a few inches below the top of the pipe to allow the installation of a storm collar and the proper chimney cap made by the same manufacturer as the pipe.

Just out of curiosity, what is the temp rating for that pipe? I mean, I'm planning to tear down and rebuild based on this info, but just wondering how scary it is that we've been running it? 🔥🔥🔥 Like, are we talking 1000ºF? Less? 😨

I don't know for sure without knowing the chimney pipe. The old standard used to be HT 1700 or about 400º lower but that is no assurance that this pipe is rated at that.

Reactions: High Desert Dennis
Iy yi yi! Sorry to hear your previous inhabitants made such sloppy choices. I'd call in a pro installer and have a re-do, if it were me. I like having someone who is certified to do it right, so I don't have to worry about it. I do a lot of handyman stuff on my own, but this wouldn't be one of 'em. Best of luck!

He just posted an update. All replaced with DuraTech now.

Iy yi yi! Sorry to hear your previous inhabitants made such sloppy choices. I'd call in a pro installer and have a re-do, if it were me. I like having someone who is certified to do it right, so I don't have to worry about it. I do a lot of handyman stuff on my own, but this wouldn't be one of 'em. Best of luck!
Thanks man. Yeah, all handled now. Got lucky and found a guy who knows his stuff willing to come out my way and do the work.

[Moderators feel free to close this thread.]

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339