Small Black Locust score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's OK if it's a small score; That stuff will last a long time in the stove! :cool:
I got some Mulberry to try when it's dry , keepin a sharp out for locust but none yet
Hey, that Mulberry is no slouch either....==c

Premium score. The high BTU stuff.
Envy from here ;) :)

Reactions: ScotO
Well I got some Mulberry to try when it's dry , keepin a sharp out for locust but none yet
Caution: Burning Mulberry and Locust together can melt your stove,;lol

I scored some locust in january of '13...split it and stacked it the same day, its the 2nd row back from direct sunlight. The 6 cords of ash and 2 cords of cherry that i finished stacking in febuary are all reading around 15%. The BL was at 40% yesterday!! looks like ill be picking around it this winter and putting it front row for next summer!

You split black locust in January and it is now reading 40%? Wow, totally different from mine, I got mine on Mother's Day, it now reads 19%. The fresh yellow stuff I got this week reads 33%, this is a pic of it... image.jpg
Did your stuff from January turn reddish on the outside? Mine did...

Reactions: blujacket
I cut some BL back summer last year, when i cut and split it it was already at like 19-20% if i remember right. The bark was barely on the tree and most of it was off when i cut it. Not sure where it is now? Its in a single stack along my fence line, neighblr has a privacy fence on thier side though :(. Good cause i cant see them but bad for air flow. It too is in direct sun untill late afternoon when it falls behind the fence.

It kind of is reddish if i remember right. I dont quite have a 1/4 cord though of it. Was saving it till cold winter, last year, i never pulled it out and really forgot about it, i will keep it in mind although i did not move it to the shed i will dig it out if i think about it on a really cold night if i need this winter.

Dig it out... I can't wait to fire some up....

You split black locust in January and it is now reading 40%? Wow, totally different from mine, I got mine on Mother's Day, it now reads 19%. The fresh yellow stuff I got this week reads 33%, this is a pic of it...View attachment 107923
Did your stuff from January turn reddish on the outside? Mine did...

It's that water hose that runs by the wood stack that will keep the moisture up. When you aren't watching, it will spit more and more water on it. :rolleyes:

I cut some BL back summer last year, when i cut and split it it was already at like 19-20% if i remember right. The bark was barely on the tree and most of it was off when i cut it. Not sure where it is now?
Not sure where it is? Well, if you find it, burn it....it's ready! ;)>>

I've got about 3/4 cord that I know is ready. It's been stacked at least a year, some of it two, and was dry like yours to begin with. It will be great to use when it's cold, or when I want a long burn out of the smaller DW and Keystone boxes. ==c
I've got nigh unto two more cords, but that was stacked late '12/early '13, varying dryness, so I'm lettin' it ride....[/quote]

I'm on my phone more since loading tapatalk. It auttocorrects things strangely and puts punctuation that I hit accidentally in. I know exactly where that BL is. Its in my long row next to the fence.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I'm on my phone more since loading tapatalk. It auttocorrects things strangely and puts punctuation that I hit accidentally in. I know exactly where that BL is. Its in my long row next to the fence.
Yeah it spelled autocorrect wrong.;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.