Small crack in the cast iron door hinge on my new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
So I've just noticed a small crack in the top door hinge on my Jotul F3 CB. It doesn't appear to go all the way through but I worry that it might. Can these be spot welded in any way or are there any high temp epoxies that I could treat it with?
And if none of the above are an option, if I leave it alone until such a time as it were to break, then what? Can I assume I can buy a whole new front panel for the stove?

This new find is worrying me and kinda pisses me off, but I have no warranty because of the way I bought it. I'll have to eat the cost I think, if this turns into a major problem.

He bought the stove used from a private party.

Smearing any sort of epoxy on it isn't gonna do anything but fill the crack cosmetically, then you can paint it and pretend it isn't there. Epoxy in this case (if I understand the situation correctly) will do nothing to restore the material's strength. Really fixing it would require welding or replacement. Rick

I'll try and post a photo tonight or tomorrow. Well, I'm assuming I'm not under warranty cause I bought if from a guy that bought out a store's inventory at auction.

yea that sucks. I hope you got a deal. rebuilding that stove is going to be a PITA. Hopefully the crack is not that bad. If it is, i would burn it as long as it passes the dollar bill test, after that. ...rebuild it if the buying price justifies fixing it.

Well I bought it from a private party but it is new(never used). The door seals tightly now. I just don't want to let the crack get outta hand. I have a friend that can probably weld it for me though. But I may just run it for a while and see how it goes.

It's one of the fancy blue enamel ones and I got it for a grand so......

hell for a grand just burn the poo out of it. If it breaks, then deal with it. I bet it will hold for a long time. With out a photo.. a long time might be like the life span of a mayfly.. or a whale....

The delivery guys dropped my F3 CB with the door unlatched and broke a hinge off. And the dealer promptly went bankrupt before it was resolved. I tried everything in the world to fix it and nothing worked. The other dealer in the area wouldn't order me a front casting for the thing when I was gonna pay for it.

Fortunately a forum member who was at that time a Jotul dealer ordered one for me. Some guy up on a mountain side in Colorado. Can't think of his name right now. Nice guy. Saved my butt. Had to tear the stove down to replace the casting but got it back in business.

The answer to your next question is, $200 plus shipping. But it was plain old matte black.

MountainStoveGuy said:
old age is a groan.

You ain't seen nothin yet. I am sorry to say.

You guys are a trip. Well, once again, thanks for the advice. I'm a little less worried knowing that I can replace the front casting if needed. Who knows, maybe I'll be trying to contact that guy on the side of a mountain sooner or later.

By the way, where are you in CO? I was just out there working for the past two months aerial surveying the entire state. I was basing in Grand Junction and Denver primarily and a couple nights in Rifle. My folks are in Lander, WY. I've only gotten to visit them a few times but I love it out there. In fact, I think I've got them convinced to buy a stove. They just bought a cabin on an old working ranch. I'm pretty jealous.

I am in a little small mountain town south west of estes park. I work in boulder. If you do need a cast piece, i have a hookup for you. Im not longer the buyer/dealer for Jotul, but i still have connections.

Planeweird said:
So I've just noticed a small crack in the top door hinge on my Jotul F3 CB. It doesn't appear to go all the way through but I worry that it might. Can these be spot welded in any way or are there any high temp epoxies that I could treat it with?
And if none of the above are an option, if I leave it alone until such a time as it were to break, then what? Can I assume I can buy a whole new front panel for the stove?

This new find is worrying me and kinda pisses me off, but I have no warranty because of the way I bought it. I'll have to eat the cost I think, if this turns into a major problem.

Like someone mentioned...Post a pic of the crack.
You may have some other options instead of welding,
depending on the size, direction & location of the crack...

Status
Not open for further replies.