Small Flame No Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrai37

Nov 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Hello, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do about my stoves low flame. I had problems with the burn pot caking up and finally figured out the door wasn't shutting correctly. I tightened it and now the flame is very low and the stove won't bring the room up to the temp called for on the thermostat. While I was trying to figure out what was causing the buildup I played with the manual damper. The manual says to slide in to raise the flame. I've moved it in bit by bit with no real change. I wasn't smart enough to mark where the damper was set at before I played with it. Should I keep moving it in? It's almost all the way in already.

what stove do have

Did the thermostat get disconnected somehow? If the stove is looking for a thermostat, and can't find it, most will just go into a maintenance burn.

I have a Hudson River Davenport insert. It's still responding to the thermostat. I pushed in the damper a little more and it's burning better and meeting the target temp. It still fluctuates from what's illustrated in the manual as a normal flame and one small enough to not be visible, but that may have always been the case and I'm just hyper aware at the moment. I read somewhere that sliding the damper all the way in can be dangerous, does anyone know if that's true?

If you can change the name of the thread, or start a new one with the name of your stove, you might get more replies. I don't have any experience with your stove, and what would be right for one of mine, may not be correct for yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.