Small Piles of Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Ran around splitting some Cherry, after splitting at the first stop I moved down the trail to start splitting the next Cherry when this young deer showed up and started checking out the pile.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0540.jpg
    100_0540.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_0544.jpg
    100_0544.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_0545.jpg
    100_0545.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_0546.jpg
    100_0546.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 236
wood spliter said:
Nice, I'm a hunter but I love just sitting back and watching the wildlife. Great pic's

They were all around today, I put some pics of more deer in the perfect picture section.

zap

Even deer are like "MMMMMMMmmmmmmm Cherrrrrry"

zapny said:
Ran around splitting some Cherry, after splitting at the first stop I moved down the trail to start splitting the next Cherry when this young deer showed up and started checking out the pile.

zap

Great pics as usual especially the deer pic! I've heard that deer do indeed eat cherry when then they are tiny saplings. Pretty sure Pennsylvania gets ravaged by the deer eating the cherry trees there but I could be wrong..

Ray

Pennsylvania has been ravaged by too many deer in the past couple of decades, but Black Cherry and Red Maple are two of the trees that are ravaged the least. Lots of woodlands here have a generation of young trees that includes mostly Black Cherry and Red Maple due to deer eating most everything else. Deer will eat a little of everything, so I am sure they have eaten some cherry, but they don't seem to eat it as eagerly as other trees and shrubs. Aruond here (the State College area of central PA) many woods have mostly oak as the mature trees, but mostly cherry and maple as the understory.

In late summer when those cherries are ripe lots of wildlife are drawn to them, including deer. Coons climb the trees and knock lots of cherries to the ground and the deer wont' be too far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.