Small stove recommendations.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
I'm thinking way ahead of schedule but, I may want to pick up a used stove and if I find one, at the right time financially, I'll grab it.
The room it's going in is our mud room. It's built off the back of the house and on a hill. It has no real foundation yet as it rests on three piers. The room has 3 exterior walls and the two side foundation walls are dry stacked field stone. It will get an ICF foundation for the sides and part of the end wall. I'm going to leave an opening for outside storage. I'm calculating R-40 in the floor and R-21 in the walls and cathedral ceiling. The sq footage is 12x14 with 8' walls.

I plan on only firing this stove up twice a day. Once in the morning and again in the evening. Mabye a third time for doggie bath time. The room will have a tiled floor, for this and I'm leaning for half way up stone walls, helping for a heat sink.

I am thinking along the lines of a Jotul #8 but am open to any suggestions to keep an eye out for. I am not stuck on a pre EPA model.
I just happen to like the #8 as a friend had one years back. It heated his den in the basement comfortably. This may be to big of a stove for this application?

The F3 or an F602 would be sufficient here. So would a small Morso.

Reactions: all night moe
Thanks @begreen I like the looks of the F3. Both Jotuls you mentioned are beautiful stoves. I like the F3 a bit more as it isn't a box stove and doesn't protrude into the room as much as the 602. Though if I found a 602 for a great price, I'd jump on it.

I've never seen a small Morso. Just the larger ones.

Thanks @begreen I like the looks of the F3. Both Jotuls you mentioned are beautiful stoves. I like the F3 a bit more as it isn't a box stove and doesn't protrude into the room as much as the 602. Though if I found a 602 for a great price, I'd jump on it.

I've never seen a small Morso. Just the larger ones.
I have an F3 and it heats my whole house. Great stove, I think I'd call it a medium sized stove.

I second the F3, a F100 may work as well if you can find one. But It might almost be too small for the space.

There's an F3 with dark red enamel on Boston CL for $1200. Looks to be in fair- good condition. They claim it was hardly used.
Quite the hike for me..... even if I did have the coin to splurge on it.

There's an F3 with dark red enamel on Boston CL for $1200. Looks to be in fair- good condition. They claim it was hardly used.
Quite the hike for me..... even if I did have the coin to splurge on it.
Depending on where your located and your budget, I am in northern VT and have plenty of F3s I need to rebuild still. Shoot me a message if you want some more info or want to check out my shop page.