Small victory ==> Oslo burn time 8.5 hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyefish2

Apr 19, 2011
UP Mi
For those interested, I had a small victory last night with the Jotul Oslo and got a 8.5 hr burn. I have not tried to push this in past and would typically get 3-5 hours burn time. I personally measure this time from the time I load up the stove to the time where the coals have burned down to a point where I know I could continue the burn by throwing more wood on (stove top corner was at 200 degrees at the end of the burn). Below is what I did different to get this burn time. This was based on bits and pieces of info I picked up here of course (Thanks). 1) I loaded the stove on a good bed of coals - approx 2-3" thick and red before pushing a good portion of them to the front. 2) I loaded a good 5" diameter round of birch to the back of the stove and then loaded three to four oak splits that were approx 3x4" on top and on the side of this round. I did keep it about 5" from the glass and about 2" below the burn tubes. I finally tucked a couple shorter pieces of wood at the end of the round and splits to fill the space on the end of the stove. I basically loaded it more than I normally would without stuffing the firebox full to the gills. 3) I then opened the primary air for about 20 minutes to get good flame in the stove and get the corner stove top temp to approx 450 degrees, then cut air to 50% for 15 min and then down to approx 20%. Hard to exactly say where I had the air at the end due to the "premadonna" air control lever and "slop" in it. I had a pretty good strong secondary burn coming from the back tube at the end of the air adjustment. The secondaries would occasionally dance down the face of the glass. This was all started at 10:00pm last night and at 6:30am this morn, the coals were looking good and strong and ready for another burn. I let the fire go out due to not having time to get one going before work. The glass on the stove had a slight dust on it with a little more brown along the lower edge of the door. This tells me I did not soot up the system.

Abbreviated version ==> fill the stove up good and plenty on a good bed of coals. Get the fire going good, but not too long and then cut the air back.

Sounds great. I'm about there myself. I've been pretty consistent with 8 to 9 hours at night. My splits at the back keep getting fatter and fatter. I've been putting small, very dry cherry on the raked coals up front. If I can do it, it can't be that hard.

Im on my 3rd season w the Oslo and usually range from 7-10 hrs depending on the wood variety I throw in. I did get one 14 or 15 hour burn last year.

If 3-5 hours is your average, than something is amiss. My brother gets 7-8 hours from his Jotul Castine. I'd start with the wood or drafting issues.

logger said:
Im on my 3rd season w the Oslo and usually range from 7-10 hrs depending on the wood variety I throw in. I did get one 14 or 15 hour burn last year.

If 3-5 hours is your average, than something is amiss. My brother gets 7-8 hours from his Jotul Castine. I'd start with the wood or drafting issues.

I normally get 3-5 hours because I usually put in a few splits and do not fill up the stove. Based on getting the 8.5 hr burn the other night, I can see that I will be able to push 9 -12 hr burns when I want to. Currently using the wood stove as supplemental heat to a wood furnace we have in the basement. I have been enjoying running the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.