Small wood stove choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinupnorth

Oct 15, 2017
Wisconsin
My husband and I just built a cabin in north central Wisconsin. About 950 sq. ft. Ranch style on a slab, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, and the living room and kitchen are one big room that takes up the front half of the cabin. We are in need of a wood stove. It will be placed in the center of our cabin with a straight 6 inch pipe up. That will be our only heating source. Right now, it will be for weekends and occasional extended weekends. We do not want to spend a lot ($6-800ish). Struggling with options. We have been looking at the Englander and Drolet as they seem to have good reviews overall and are purchases within our price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We had a small cabin a few years ago and had a small wood stove. It would heat us out of the cabin in the day but then would not burn through the night and would be very cold by morning.

Would like something to make it through the night without having to refill. We would be using hardwoods to heat.

Thanks!

Cabinupnorth

Either a mid-sized Drolet or Englander would do the job. Look for something in the 2.0 cu ft range. In Englander this would be the 13-NC and in Drolet, the Escape 1800. The Englander will need a substantial 2.0 R value hearth but it is a reliable heater. The Drolet has easier hearth requirements but is a shallower E/W stove. Another Englander to look at would be the 50 SSW01 (also sold under the Summer's Heat brand at Lowes).

Two important notes: These stoves want fully seasoned, dry wood and they want an adequate flue system of at least 15 ft to perform properly.

The Summer's Heat 50 SSW01 would normally be a bit oversized for an insulated 950 sq ft house, but not for a cold cabin unless it is well insulated. It takes a lot of extra heat and many hours to raise the interior mass of the cabin up from 40F to 70F. And it takes a decent sized stove capacity to burn overnight and still have coals. If this is the sole source of heat then the stove is going to need some extra horsepower to warm the place up before the weekend is over.

That said, if the place is well insulated and you want a greater range of heating then the best option is a catalytic stove, preferably with a thermostat. You can push the stove hard to heat up the place and then let it loaf overnight. The caveat is it'll cost more. Take a look at a Blaze King Sirocco 20 for a cat stove that would work.

I have the Summer's Heat 50 SSW01 as our primary source of heat in an 1100 sq ft ranch house. It replaced a stove that was larger. Was down into the 20's F so I actually got to run it (besides the break in fires) last night. It did really well, kept the temps in the upper 70's so the wife was really happy, had a decent bed of coals this a.m. to get another small fire going to keep the chill off since its only supposed to be in the 40's F today. IMO I don't think it will be too much stove for you. You'll want something that can throw a lot of heat if you're coming into a cold place and trying to warm things up. Then after you get things warmed up you can control heat out put by not loading so much into it and burning smaller fires.

I keep trying to find the Englander 15-ssw01 but what keeps coming up is Summer's Heat 50-SNC13, which from what I can tell has exactly the same EVERYTHING as the Englander 13NC, but just under a different brand name...am I missing something or am I looking at the right thing? Getting frustrated. As for a catalytic, if we could afford it, I would be all over that, but just not in the budget right now. Down the line when we can spend more time up there, that will be a change we do.

Okay, so I found Summers Heat Model 50-SHSSW01. Is that you are talking about? For a 2000 sq. ft place? Just to make sure I am looking at the right thing...

Okay, so I found Summers Heat Model 50-SHSSW01. Is that you are talking about? For a 2000 sq. ft place? Just to make sure I am looking at the right thing...
Yes, the extra SH in the model number indicates Summer's Heat.

I have a 2 cu ft stove in my 16x25 foot cabin. For the initial heat up I use the stove, a propane sunflower, and electric. It can be done with a woodstove only, but it's going to take a while. For a 950 square ft cabin brought up from outside temp, personally I'd choose a larger steel stove. If it proves too big once you are living there full time, downsize then.