smell and see smoke.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtalea

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Hey all.I need some advice..I recently installed a Jamestown stove..Coming out of stove I have a 3-4 pipe enlarger then a 4" t with clean out. straight up for 4'then 2-45's and out the wall.

My issue is my t clean out is leaking smoke..I didnt silicone it cause that just doesnt make much sense.what else can I do or why is this happening

2 places you will get smoke out of a tee, 1 , the joint where you have the horizontal and vertical pipes meet , they are usually sealed on the inside, and 2 more common, the cap at the bottom of the tee, not where is twist locks , but the bottom of the cap . mine did , what i did was to fill the area between the inner and outer on the cap itself with 550 degree silicone , hasnt leaked since. hope this helps

no there is no vertical pipe as yet...I am goning to buy another t clean out for the out side and run up 5 feet...

I did silicone the bottom of cleanout already and thought that did it but I guess not.I think mine is pouring out the twist area.

You may not need another Tee perhaps just a 90 and the 5'. Wouldnt be that hard to disassemble and clean out and the 5' would help with the draft.

you may want to take the tee off and check the joint where the pipes meet (horizontal and vertical) the twist lock should seal fairly well, may even be a defective section of pipe , check that the inner pipe is not damaged where the tee and the cap mate up

I will inspect the t clean out for improper closure/fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.