Smoke coming out the air intake?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckV309

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2008
Germantown Hills, IL
This is going to take a minute to explain. I think I know what caused it, but want some opinions on hot to prevent it.

A couple of days ago, I was going to lite my fire in the Quadrafire 2100I insert. When I opened the door, I noticed a good breeze of cold air flowing in. Figured it was some cool air flowing down the chimney from the door being open. I started the fire and closed the door as usual,and all of a sudden, smoke came pouring out the bottom where the air intake is. I had both air controls open to feed the fire, but smoke came out. I tried several different configurations between the controls and the insert door and all that happened was smoke poured out. Could stop it by closing the controls, but then fire would go out. I finally had the wife open the house door, and that slowed the smoke down and eventually got the chimney to draft.

This is what I think caused it: The day before my wife let the fire burn out and I didn't get home till late and the insert was cold so I just went to bed. It is a brick chimney that I have a piece of single wall pipe sticking up into it part way(I bought the house this summer and that is how the previous owner had used it.) That night it got down to 0 and the next day warmed to the 20s. The chimney is on the north side so it didn't get any sun on it. I think when I went to lite the fire that evening the chimney was colder than the outside air, so the cool air was falling down the inside of the chimney into the insert, causing the smoke to come in until enough hot air started flowing up.

Does that sound right, and if so, how do I prevent it in the future? Other than that one time, all fires have been fine.

I think you have the issue pretty well understood. A reverse draft on startup can be very annoying.

Some folks stick to burning paper (or other things) in the stove - placing the quick/hot fire these create as close to the flue as possible in the hopes of getting some hot air to flow up the chimney. My permanent solution was to add 3' of additional pipe to the top of my chimney.

Back when I had this issue I found that using a hair dryer was the most effective (no smoke at all) at getting the flow going the right direction.

I would almost bet that if you were to drop an insulated liner down that chimney and hook it all up you may never have this problem again.

Or toss a 1/2 of a Super Cedar in, light it and close the door to kick start draft. That or starting the fire top down should get the job donel.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds about right to me. Down drafts can also happen when the weather shifts or when there are pressure changes. It is more common on stoves/chimney set ups that have below average draft. You mention that the pipe sticks into the chimney and that's it right? I think that is called a "slammer" install and is not thought of favorably around here.

It causes poor draft. A typical chimney pipe is 6" and has an area of 28.25 cubic inches. If you are venting into an 8x8 clay liner that is 64 cubic inches, or more than double the area. a 12x12 liner is 144 cubic inches, or over 5 times the area!!! This will create draft (and creosote) problems.

Others will chime in but an immediate fix for your current situation is to light off something really hot to kickstart the draft on a cold setup. Crumple up a handfull of newspaper and light it off and while its burning throw some kindling on there to get a quick hot fire going. Once you have some coals and the chimney is heated up you can get your fire going as normal.

If I misunderstood your installation please let me know...

edit.....I've got to start typing faster, you guys always beat me to it!

Some people have put hair dryers in the stove to get some heat to the flue.

Yeah, I don't like the install, but it will have to do for now. I hadn't thought about the hair dryer. I got a heat gun. Might try it next time. Thanks for all the input.

Start it in October, and keep feeding it till March. Problem solved. :cool:

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Start it in October, and keep feeding it till March. Problem solved. :cool:

My thru the wall class a chimney does the same thing once the fire had been out for 12 hrs and the stove us stone cold. Hogs solution works the best for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.