Smoke creeped out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunker Down

Sep 4, 2014
Long Island
Last evening I fully loaded my englander for an attempt of an over night burn. I loaded about 8 splits of mixed seasoned and some mm readings between 22-25. The stove temp was at 250 with a small startup fire of dimensional wood. The englander really started to stretch its legs and the temp quickly shot to 650 -700. At that point i closed air control down to about half within 30 minutes. At the two hour mark I could actually hear the draft going up the single wall black pipe like a freight train. And the fire was really blazing inside the fire box. I opened the door and could hear some of the logs hissing moisture, and I lowered the air control another 1/4 to slow the flames down some more. This all began around 8:30 pm. The blazing was about 10:30, and by 3:30 there were no flames just coals and stove top temp of 350. At 8:30 am there was a slight warmth to stove, and when I moved some ash around there were some coals.

My question, is that a good thing or a bad thing that I could hear the draft sounding that powerful?

Is that situation explained above and the burn time considered normal with marginal wood?

And for the second time on a re light, because of some wetter wood when I opened the door a small amount of smoke escaped. There was a lot of hissing both times I had a small amount of the smoke come out. Is that due to the poor fuel or could that be a draft problem? Or something else all together?

Seems like you got a pretty darn good burn cycle while using not so perfect wood! My stove HATES wood that has even the SLIGHTEST MC above 20%.

Wet wood smokes, and steams much more during the ignition phase.

Try shutting the primary down sooner and farther - I can shut mine all the way off and it burns great(others mileage varies)

A little smoke may creep out on reloads with the best of wood depending on circumstance. A slight reverse draft due to the fan on in the bathroom, a gust of wind, who knows, etc...

Try opening the primary air for 10 min or so before opening the door and open it slowly - this should cure 99% of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.