1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Smoke detector lag time?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by bluedogz, Jul 21, 2012.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Yeah . . . much more expensive if you have well water . . . typically you need to buy a couple of pressurized tanks which quickly adds up vs. doing the system off city water.

Ah . . . the old fire grenades. Is this one empty or is it filled with salt water? Typically I see these with a red or green filled liquid which is typically carbon tetracholride -- which can be quite nasty to the nervous system -- not to mention that it can convert to phosgene gas when it comes in contact with high heat.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lewiston

Lewiston Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Central, WI
    Nicely done! Salt water. My grandfather was one of the good ole boys at station #1 for most of his life in Madison, WI. He and my grandmother had some neat artifacts from various stations that were upgraded.
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I just thought of something else. Look for an interconnected alarm that is latching. That means that the detector that caused the trip has a light that blinks at a faster than usual rate. That helps to troubleshoot.