Smoke detector lag time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When we built the house we planned on installing a sprinkler system until we found out the cost and number of pressurized tanks needed. Opted for a fire extinguisher at every exit. More effective than having a house full of these:

View attachment 71107

Just one of the very few disadvantages of living in the boonies.

Yeah . . . much more expensive if you have well water . . . typically you need to buy a couple of pressurized tanks which quickly adds up vs. doing the system off city water.

Ah . . . the old fire grenades. Is this one empty or is it filled with salt water? Typically I see these with a red or green filled liquid which is typically carbon tetracholride -- which can be quite nasty to the nervous system -- not to mention that it can convert to phosgene gas when it comes in contact with high heat.

Yeah . . . much more expensive if you have well water . . . typically you need to buy a couple of pressurized tanks which quickly adds up vs. doing the system off city water.

Ah . . . the old fire grenades. Is this one empty or is it filled with salt water? Typically I see these with a red or green filled liquid which is typically carbon tetracholride -- which can be quite nasty to the nervous system -- not to mention that it can convert to phosgene gas when it comes in contact with high heat.
Nicely done! Salt water. My grandfather was one of the good ole boys at station #1 for most of his life in Madison, WI. He and my grandmother had some neat artifacts from various stations that were upgraded.

I just thought of something else. Look for an interconnected alarm that is latching. That means that the detector that caused the trip has a light that blinks at a faster than usual rate. That helps to troubleshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.