smoke from chimney at end of burns?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Flame won't happen till around 1000 degrees f on a tube secondary"
I can get secondaries from my stove at a lower temp then you seem to be implying, if fact I have seem them at about 350 degrees, what type of wood is has a lot to do with temps at which they fire off IMHO. Some woods dont release their gases as quick as others resulting in less secondaries, since the gases start to burn at 540 degrees or so in the fire box and continue up to 900 or more you can have secondary action very early after a fire is started.
This is what I have observed in my Summit.
When I get the flue temp up to about 350 or 400 the Nashua does not even smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Flame won't happen till around 1000 degrees f on a tube secondary"
I can get secondaries from my stove at a lower temp then you seem to be implying, if fact I have seem them at about 350 degrees, what type of wood is has a lot to do with temps at which they fire off IMHO. Some woods dont release their gases as quick as others resulting in less secondaries, since the gases start to burn at 540 degrees or so in the fire box and continue up to 900 or more you can have secondary action very early after a fire is started.
This is what I have observed in my Summit.
When I get the flue temp up to about 350 or 400 the Nashua does not even smoke.
So stove top might be around 250. I really doubt you could get secondary's at that temp.
But maybe your stove has more magic then most. Cheers!

Just telling you what my stove does, not arguing the point, you made some claims about smoke and secondary stoves had to be 500 stove top degrees to get secondary flame.
I never said mine could get them at 250.
350 that's 350

Well I'm not going to split hairs with you over it. That said I know for a fact a cat stove will eat smoke before a tube burner will ignite it.
Not a big deal for sure. After peak a cat will continue to eat smoke long after the tubes are out. It's just a fact.
Both types have their advantages.
If I needed big heat fast it would be a tube. But since I like the long,slow clean burn I prefer a cat.

I know that too, go back and read the thread again, no one made any claims about a secondary stove firing before a cat stove.:confused:

"After peak a cat will continue to eat smoke long after the tubes are out. It's just a fact"
Look up the stages of a fire and get back to me.

No I read it well enough the first time thank you.
I still say it has to be around 1000 degrees f in the box for secondary's to light off..you and I guess at least one more disagree..so be it! Cheers!

"After peak a cat will continue to eat smoke long after the tubes are out. It's just a fact"
Look up the stages of a fire and get back to me.
Been there done that also.
We are talking about how the two main types of secondary stoves clean up the air from a wood fire.
On one stove it is done with tubes ..the other stove type is a catalytic converter. Nothing less nothing more then that.

I have a similar situation (though of course I'm running an EPA exempt stove, so no little elves reburning smoke and washing the glass or fireball cats roaming around in it). I know full well that I need to add another section to my chimney to increase the draught. During the course of burning, and just adding a small log or two when what's in the firebox burns down my glass tends to get a bit orange, but it's when I let it burn down completely and discontinue adding wood where the glass smokes up solid black. The coals just don't have the drawing power of a full fledged fire and whatever comes out of the chimney is going to be more concentrated and visible as well since it's a lesser volume and speed exiting.

I have a similar situation (though of course I'm running an EPA exempt stove, so no little elves reburning smoke and washing the glass or fireball cats roaming around in it). I know full well that I need to add another section to my chimney to increase the draught. During the course of burning, and just adding a small log or two when what's in the firebox burns down my glass tends to get a bit orange, but it's when I let it burn down completely and discontinue adding wood where the glass smokes up solid black. The coals just don't have the drawing power of a full fledged fire and whatever comes out of the chimney is going to be more concentrated and visible as well since it's a lesser volume and speed exiting.
Yeah..thermodynamics can and do come into play.
But hey..we are just burning wood here right? lol

Hot coals, you made this into a cat vs a non cat, no one else did, this kind of back and forth is what gets threads closed.
I have no idea where you are coming from, you made statements that were not true and then went weird on me.
Your cat stove is the greatest thing since they discovered fire.
Ya happy?

Take it to PM's guys. This one has run its course. Just like the exact same one did last year, and the year before and...

Reactions: oldspark and fossil
Status
Not open for further replies.