Smoke issues i2400 regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdouce272

Oct 31, 2013
mass
Hi i currently have a smoking issue with my regency insert that started about a month ago. The stove is just over a year old. My question is do i have to clean the flue yearly and if so should i also have the stove serviced in the proccess?

Even with the flue opened 100% it smokes

Go up & remove the cap & take a peek at the liner. Either the cap is plugged or the liner or BOTH.
You need to clean that system COMPLETELY at LEAST once a year.
More often may be required, depending on the moisture content in your wood.
A certified chimney sweep will clean your insert after he brush cleans the liner.

Yes, clean yearly. Aside from cleaning the chimney, check the fan and clean off any dust, animal hair, etc. Even a small amount can stress that tiny motor. Also, when cleaning the chimney, I like to remove the baffles carefully, so the "stuff" falls right into the insert firebox. I was always a fan of removing the tubes and baffles as it seemed to keep them from setting up in there.
If your draft has been hindered enough, after one year of use, to create a smoke issue, I offer the following:
1. Green wood (or at least not properly seasoned
2. Closing the combustion air too soon (before stove has reached an operable temperature
3. If your chimney is lined with stainless as it should be, maybe something got disconnected
4. If your chimney cap has a screen, I have seen in extremely cold weather, ice form at the cap blocking off the air flow. Moisture from the wood, etc..mix that in with some creosote and it doesn't take much to clog a cap.

Aside from that, review the owners manual for periodic maintenance.

Go up & remove the cap & take a peek at the liner. Either the cap is plugged or the liner or BOTH.
A certified chimney sweep will clean your insert after he brush cleans the liner.
Thank u very much. Ill check today after work

it is also a good possibility that stuff fell onto the baffle and is impeding draft as well. Usually allot of the dirt in the liner will fall in the off season and pile up there

this was the issue. Cap was 75% clogged. Would of taken a picture but kinda embarrassed. Needless to say burning good now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 197
this was the issue. Cap was 75% clogged. Would of taken a picture but kinda embarrassed. Needless to say burning good now.

Hi there, I burn with the same insert. Glad you got it figured out. Make sure to sweep out the chimney too!

Based on how dirty your glass is I will assume your wood isn't well seasoned as another poster has mentioned. If you're burning properly, the glass should stay pretty clean, maybe dark just in the corners.

Hi there, I burn with the same insert. Glad you got it figured out. Make sure to sweep out the chimney too!

Based on how dirty your glass is I will assume your wood isn't well seasoned as another poster has mentioned. If you're burning properly, the glass should stay pretty clean, maybe dark just in the corners.
Honestly it usually is. It was just over tge last month it got bad. I think the cap being clogged had alot to do with it. In the last 30 minutes the glass has cleared up alot.

Great news. Your back in business and wont be caught off guard next time. Don't be embarrassed, the reason you got two clogged cap replies within minutes of your post is that maybe, just maybe...someone before you had the same issue!

glad you got it worked out. the Regency i2400 is a great medium unit!

Status
Not open for further replies.