Smoke & LED light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It appears to me that when I run my stove during the day & look at the stack there is nothing but heat waves coming out. However, at night when I use the same fuel and get close to my chimney ( 10 feet) I see some smoke (not much but is is smoke...!) using one of those led flashlights. Am I crazy.. I am sure my neighbors think so....

Just thinking, maybe it's colder at night and you are seeing slight condensation, warm meeting cold?

Yeah. It is steam. From the wood and humidity being drawn into the stove from the house. Move the light over and see if it rises and dissipates within twenty feet or so of coming out of the chimney. If it does it is steam.

You are not crazy. I get the same thing and do the same thing and have neighbors that think the same thing.

Well, when I say not crazy, I mean for someone w/ OCD you (we) are pretty normal :)

pen

Actually it was only last year when I finally told myself not to get that flashlight and go out there any more. And actually listened to myself. :red:

I am glad that there are more folks like me...thank you! My wife thinks I am the only crazy one....& who cares about the neighbors!

Diabel said:
I am glad that there are more folks like me...thank you! My wife thinks I am the only crazy one....& who cares about the neighbors!

I serenade the neighbor on the next place over with the sound of my chainsaws. He serenades me with the sound of the backup alarm bell on the propane truck backing up his driveway.

Ohhh.... I wish I could live out in the country ....all the space & no white noise!

BrotherBart said:
Actually it was only last year when I finally told myself not to get that flashlight and go out there any more. And actually listened to myself. :red:
i said the same thing this year and ive been out and checked it a few times already. all with good report that everything is fine. but i gotta stop lol. my wife saying what are you doing at 11 at night when were going up to bed.

I kept a spotlight in the truck last year. I could run out at night and shine the pipe. Sometimes I could see smoke/steam/whatever in the moonlight. Run in, make adjustment, wait, re-check.
Perhaps our families should seek counseling on how to accept us.

Troutchaser said:
I kept a spotlight in the truck last year. I could run out at night and shine the pipe. Sometimes I could see smoke/steam/whatever in the moonlight. Run in, make adjustment, wait, re-check.
Perhaps our families should seek counseling on how to accept us.
that was me with my old stove. Not this one I go out and check and it's fine. I'm just a nut about it. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.