Smokey Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
I'm into my fourth season with this stove and have been burning lean, clean and practically smoke free since. Over the last few days, I've noticed some smoke from the chimney during the secondary phase of the burn. I'm burning the same wood, mostly maple and oak cut, split and stacked for three years. I have noticed a few "punky" pieces mixed in. Checked the stove and all the burn tubes and related hardware are in place. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening.

Any Thoughts . . .

Jim

I"m going to guess it's just visible moisture. The last few days up here in Northern N'England have been wicked cold. When it gets that cold, it's easier to see the steam as the moisture in your fuel and air supply burns off. I see it with my propane boiler powervent as well.

If it's steam, you won't see anything a few inches out of the pipe, then the water vapor will condense when it hits the cold air. H2O is a byproduct of combustion.

Happened to me the other night. Stove throwing mad heat, raging secondaries, I go out to put out the trash...WHAT THE HELL!!!! Big cloud of smoke from the stack. Ran around back and checked the thermometer. 8*F. Looked over at my neighbors chimney for his NG funace. Identical "smoke". Whew. Just steam. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.