Smokey Woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Hey guys, I'm having some smoke issues with my wood stove and I was looking for some suggestions from the pros around here. The stove is a 20+ year old efel and it sits in our living room and for the 7 years that we have lived here we just used the stove on weekends and really cold nights. More for aesthetics but with the rising costs of oil in recent years I burn EVERY day in the winter months. Over this past summer I moved the stove to do some work and I put it back about a month ago, it was a little chilly this morning so I fired up the stove and I noticed a lot of smoke. After it got going a little better I added more wood but every time I opened the door on the side of the stove smoke poured out and from the vents in the front of the stove. I had the damper wide open and I looked at the chimney outside and I saw plenty of smoke coming out. Even after the pipe was warmed up I still couldn't open the door, smoke was pouring out like crazy. We had a lot of rain here during the week and some of my wood was not covered so it's still a little wet. Could this cause a lot of smoke or should I look elsewhere? I'm going to brush the chimney tomorrow just in case but I'm pretty sure it's clean. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Yep, check the chimney, clean er up. Any chance that moving the stove allowed something to block air controls? do you have good control over rate of fire? Wet wood will smoke a little more, butby the time your going to reload it shoudnt realy be wet any more right? keep us posted on problem.

PINEBURNER said:
Yep, check the chimney, clean er up. Any chance that moving the stove allowed something to block air controls? do you have good control over rate of fire? Wet wood will smoke a little more, butby the time your going to reload it shoudnt realy be wet any more right? keep us posted on problem.

The air control is clear, all I have is a vent in the front. Yeah you're right about the wet wood, I would think after an hour of burning it would dry up by then. I'll get up on the roof tomorrow and clean out the chimney, I'll post my results when I'm done.

I cleaned it in the spring last year so it's due. When I cleaned it last year I didn't get a lot of crap out of it but I did burn 3 cords of wood last winter.

Ratman said:
Rule #1. No wet wood in the Temple.
Rule #2. Don't forget Rule #1.
LOL!! Rules to live by.......

A plugged cap is my number one finding for smoking back problems.

Number two would be bad wood (which usually leads to a plugged cap in a very short time)

Ratman said:

Might I be so bold as to add this to my signature line, Ratty?

:)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Ratman said:

Might I be so bold as to add this to my signature line, Ratty?

:)

I'd be honored...
Let us all revel in it.

Revel, and live long and prosper ` \ // :)

jtp10181 said:
A plugged cap is my number one finding for smoking back problems.

Number two would be bad wood (which usually leads to a plugged cap in a very short time)

Well some pesky birds decided to build a nest in the cap area and it was blocking some airflow but it was enough to back it up into the house. Cleaned it out really good today to I'm good for the season. Thanks for all the tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.