Snakes in the woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
As I was stacking today I came across a couple of little 3 ft gartner snakes, one in the pile I was moving it from, and the other right by the stacks I was moving it to under my deck. Big mistake - I mentioned this to my wife and now she's totally freaked out of going anywhere near either.

Any nice eco-friendly ways to keep the snakes away? I figure they are prolly helpful, kepping the mice and bugs down, but unless I do something my wife won't be going out to bring in any wood this winter...

I think come winter they wont be a problem. Till then I would just leave em alone and let them do their thing

Golfandwoodnut gets the shanks once in awhile, it isn't pretty. We had a 5 ft black snake come to the house a couple of weeks ago. I let it go and now my wife is freaked out. If it were a copper head I would have done something. I know they are around, although I have never seen one(thank God).

I was going to post this right after the OP put this up but I refrained but now that the rest of you are piling on, I guess I'll join in.

I understand. Sankes scare the heck out of me, too!! :wow:

No snakes in Alaska :)
I vacation in Hawaii, no snakes there either.
Probably one of the reasons I left PA. snakes everywhere :bug:

bogydave said:
No snakes in Alaska :)
I vacation in Hawaii, no snakes there either.
Probably one of the reasons I left PA. snakes everywhere :bug:
It's no good. They're even on commercial airliners. I've seen the footage. ;-P

A surprise encounter with a snake is always good for an adrenalin rush. And I can shriek and do the stupid dance with the best of 'em. Lol.

We follow a live and let live policy here; assure your wife that once the weather cools down the snake presence will, too. They're solar powered and need warmth so they'll be long gone by frost. Snakes are deaf and very senstive to vibration, so if you stamp your feet or knock some pieces of wood on the pile they'll automatically seek cover away from the source of the vibration. Bottom line, they don't want an encounter with her anymore than she does with them.

my woodpile is like a welfare hotel. I have all kind of sleazy critters living it it. We have snakes, bees ,spiders a birds nest, chipmunks, mice and now that "dreaded groundhog now moved in" since I smoked them all out of the ground.

A good cat can work wonders!

Uper said:
A good cat can work wonders!

yep, my old buddy Tom the cat used to have a blast wid dem thar sankes. He would grab one that was making it's way to our basement and drag it back out into the yard and then just sit there and watch the snake go toward the house again.....then he would "attack" it again and drag it back into the yard batting it all the while. This would go on for quite awhile...I swear I could hear ole Tom laughing! I miss that cat!

Do not give in to her irrational fears. Those snakes are harmless. In the winter, you won't see one. not even in the woodpile.

[quote author="Bobbin" date="1281622603"]A surprise encounter with a snake is always good for an adrenalin rush. And I can shriek and do the stupid dance with the best of 'em. Lol.

We follow a live and let live policy here;
Screw that!

I always find mice in my wood pile. I think I'd rather have snakes.

had this guy come out from around the wood pile last week %-P

dont think he was in it? but dont know?

DSC07764.jpg

DSC07763.jpg

Terry

I shot a snake
In the head
I shot a snake
Now its dead
I shot a snake
Oh what fun
I shot a snake
My work is done

loon said:

DSC07764.jpg

DSC07763.jpg

Terry

What kinda snake is that?

your wife won't touch your wood because of the skanks you're keeping in the pile ?

a little penicillin and you''ll all be fine

tell her not to worry - the skanks hibernate in the cellar during the Winter.
You don't have a workshop in the basement, I hope.

loon said:

DSC07764.jpg

DSC07763.jpg

Terry

Looks like he was just a bit thirsty . . . you've got to watch those sankes . . . they sneak in and drink everyone's beer since everyone knows a fine beer or two goes down well with a few mice for dinner. ;) :)

This little guy, or gal was sunning itself on my '11/'12 Oak on a cool morning last month.

Attachments

• DSCN1198.jpg
    DSCN1198.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 413
Last summer we found a nest of small snakes not more than 8-10 inches long. My kids and I looked them up on the internet and were called red-bellied snakes. Had a milk snake in one pile this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.