Snakes in the woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have yet to see a sanke in Oregon, although my wife claims to have seen one while walking this morning. I have, however, so far this spring/summer, killed 6 Bushy Tailed Wood Rats (common name Pack Rat) using the good ole tried n true Victor rat traps inside my wood shed with peanut butter for bait. Last year they really had a ball making nests in there among the stacks, and those nests are nasty. We didn't even know how nasty until we were well into the stacks late in the season, as the rats stayed close to the shed walls. We're just now beginning to fill the shed with seasoned wood for next burning season, and I don't want the same thing happening again. I'm pretty pleased so far with the effectiveness of the traps. Rick

ETA: Not my pic, I found it on some exterminator's site...but it's exactly what I've done six times so far this year. One of them was caught but not dead, and tried to get away from me when I approached. I set my splitting round on top of him and the trap he was in and waited a while. Lights out for another pack rat. :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• Woodrat.jpg
    Woodrat.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 224
The good, old fashioned Victor traps are pretty effective. Peanut butter or bacon. Just make sure the traps are tied down in case you catch a big one.

Thanks for the comments about my typing (fixed it now :~)

Guess I'll just have to tell her I saw it running away down the gulley ;)

I didn't even notice the spelling. I am good at numbers, but not letters.

fossil said:
Have yet to see a sanke in Oregon, although my wife claims to have seen one while walking this morning. I have, however, so far this spring/summer, killed 6 Bushy Tailed Wood Rats (common name Pack Rat) using the good ole tried n true Victor rat traps inside my wood shed with peanut butter for bait. Last year they really had a ball making nests in there among the stacks, and those nests are nasty. We didn't even know how nasty until we were well into the stacks late in the season, as the rats stayed close to the shed walls. We're just now beginning to fill the shed with seasoned wood for next burning season, and I don't want the same thing happening again. I'm pretty pleased so far with the effectiveness of the traps. Rick

ETA: Not my pic, I found it on some exterminator's site...but it's exactly what I've done six times so far this year. One of them was caught but not dead, and tried to get away from me when I approached. I set my splitting round on top of him and the trap he was in and waited a while. Lights out for another pack rat. :coolsmirk:

Omg that thing is the size of a squirrel!

iceman said:
...Omg that thing is the size of a squirrel!

Well, yeah, they're rats. Actually, for rats, they're not too bad looking. The bushy tail makes all the difference. %-P Rick

fossil said:
iceman said:
...Omg that thing is the size of a squirrel!

Well, yeah, they're rats. Actually, for rats, they're not too bad looking. The bushy tail makes all the difference. %-P Rick

Around here no bushy tails ....lol they resemble more of a possum..lol but the river rats ... those are as big as cats!
Those rats just run around in the woods out there? Wow be careful out there!

iceman said:
...Those rats just run around in the woods out there? Wow be careful out there!

We don't have woods here. We live in high desert country. Juniper trees, sagebrush, basalt (lava rock). Woodrats are pretty much solitary, exclusively nocturnal, and extremely shy. The only ones I ever see are dead in my traps. Rick

Yup, no bushy tails and much bigger around here too. Especially in NYC. The bushy tails make them almost cute. Almost.

Jags said:
This is the only kind of sanke that I will deal with:

all over that last weekend with our golf tourny....

young lads were a little ticked as it came out big foam?? %-P

DSC07793.jpg

shoulda put the keg in a cooler day before :)

KB007 said:

No fair changing the title. Somewhere down the road somebody will be reading this thread and wondering why all these idiots are talking about sankes. :lol:

wendell said:
KB007 said:

No fair changing the title. Somewhere down the road somebody will be reading this thread and wondering why all these idiots are talking about sankes. :lol:

Just gimme the word, I'll make it right. :coolsmile:

Just a reminder to never get on the wrong side of the omnipotent and omnipresent moderator. ;-)

wendell said:
Just a reminder to never get on the wrong side of the omnipotent and omnipresent moderator. ;-)

You left out "beneficent". I hate that. :coolsmirk:

I hope that doesn't put me on the wrong side of you! :bug:

wendell said:
I hope that doesn't put me on the wrong side of you! :bug:

Since I am beneficent, there is no wrong side of me. :)

loon said:
Jags said:
This is the only kind of sanke that I will deal with:

all over that last weekend with our golf tourny....

young lads were a little ticked as it came out big foam?? %-P

DSC07793.jpg

shoulda put the keg in a cooler day before :)

As beer is my #1 hobby, those Jockey boxes are great but...

Depending on if there is a cold plate or coil in there, that keg needs to be chilled a bit or foam will be an issue. They are only effective at lowering the beer temp by 30-40 degrees depending. So if you cannot get the beer below say 38 degrees by the time it comes out, foam may be an issue. In addition, a cold plate set up will need your PSI to be in the low 20s and if a coil setup, the PSI may need to be as high as 34 or so. In short, foam is a factor of beer temp and length of lines...for next time.

G

25 guys/gals were a little miffed about it :)

the keg was a donation and we were gonna put it in a garbage can with ice but was told we didnt need to CTwoodburner
guess i shoulda asked the board last friday ;-P

was still a good time :)

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.