"Snopocolypse" 2019...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We just got 10" Sunday night and into Monday.

Reactions: brenndatomu
A little chilly up by Lamppa Manufacturing as well! They actually closed the area schools today and tomorrow, which never happens.

Wind speeds of 5 to 10 mph will result in wind chills as low as 50 below zero this ... WIND CHILL

...EXTREMELY COLD WIND CHILLS THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...

.Extremely cold Arctic air will move over the Northland through
Thursday morning. Overnight temperatures will be lowest Wednesday
and Thursday morning with readings generally between 20 and 40
below zero. Highs this afternoon will be near zero in northeastern
portions of the Arrowhead to around 20 degrees below zero in
western Koochiching and Itasca counties. Wind speeds of 5 to 10
mph will result in wind chills as low as 50 below zero this
morning and will only rise to 20 to 40 below zero today. Extreme
wind chills of 45 to 65 below zero are forecast tonight and early
Wednesday. Winds will diminish Wednesday night and Thursday and
temperatures will trend warmer by Thursday. This period of
brutally cold weather is being compared to previous cold weather
outbreaks in January 2014 and February 1996.

Meanwhile in the great white north...
total snowfall this years is approaching 4 inches.
We did have a cold spell of 6 days with -40C nights
but otherwise the temperatures have been pleasant.
This winter has been like a loooong fall so far,and i really appreciate it.
after 48 winters in the Yukon i don't mind missing one.

Official Tower, MN temp today was -44 with potential for -50 tonight. Don't know if we will hit the record -60, which happened to take place on my 16th birthday.

Official Tower, MN temp today was -44 with potential for -50 tonight. Don't know if we will hit the record -60, which happened to take place on my 16th birthday.

That's freakin' cold, but it's including wind chill. They say we may actually be hitting close to that the next couple nights way the heck down here.

If businesses are closing up by you, where your average winter temps are much lower than ours, can you imagine the freaking out going on down here. ;lol

upload_2019-1-29_17-47-51.png

That'll make some snotsicles!
eee0d9c084d93e071f66b304adf3a24f.jpg

Reactions: JRHAWK9 and woodey
It might be July before the squirrels get their nuts thawed out:eek:
Tough squirrels up there...ours would have their nuts froze off at those temps! !!! ;lol

Reactions: sloeffle
Tough squirrels up there...ours would have their nuts froze off at those temps! !!! ;lol

Perfect time to use a shotgun on the bastards. Between myself and the next door neighbor we shot about 100 of them dam things. Used a .22 for awhile but didn't like them having a "chance" to get away... switched to a 12 guage. Lol.

They tear up the farm equipment in my defense costing $$$ thousands of dollars.

Attachments

• 20180729_204334.jpg
    20180729_204334.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20180806_174412.jpg
    20180806_174412.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 147
Tree rats::P

Back to the weather. This is my first year burning oil after 10 years with my beloved EKO and I will tell you I'm not happy. I'm burning through $$ a lot faster than I thought I would and although the room thermostats are now reading the same as they did when burning wood I don't feel as warm. I believe that the storage tank in the basement, although insulated with 3 inches of foam radiated extra warmth through out the house.

With my "one fire a day" regimen I also had silent heat. The oil boiler is 1 level down from my bed and I hear it cycling all night.

Reactions: Case1030
I'm with ya fred, I still heat with my Econoburn and 500 gals. of storage, but once in a while i fire up the oil boiler to make sure it works if I need it as a backup. Constantly cycling and everytime I hear it it sounds like money leaving my wallet. And loud , whereas my wood heat feels warmer for some reason and no noise. Gonna stick with would as long as my old body will allow. Bruce