Snow plows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What do you use to plow?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The plow predates Meyers. Very heavy for only 6ft wide. It has been beat for years.

Edit: this thing puts the UG in Ugly. :lol:

Attachments

• jeep_sm.jpg
    jeep_sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 288
RocketMan said:
Wow Jags, what great visibility you have while plowing. What would I use for an excuse for hitting my pole barn using your rig?

That is one advantage to the Jeep. You can literally look down and see the plow. The other thing is the short wheel base. It can zip around pretty handily. Load the back end with firewood for weight, and the little bugger just keeps on pushing.

Western Uni-Mount plow on a 1998 K2500 ext.cab pickup, 48" cycle country plow on a Suzuki King Quad, 8 hp Ariens snow blower, Toro electric power shovel, multiple hand shovels. Too Many decisions but equipped to handle most situations. My 15 yr old son gladly does the driveways that pay him and I am left to fend for myself to clear our own driveway.

Need a rear blade for the 3PH, but this gets me by with the loader. Tedious, but fun! ;-P Rick

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 289
Ancient 10hp Ariens 42" cut two stage machine... Works.

Gooserider

Depends on depth of snow. Over 7or 8 inches i use the plow on the front of my Honda quad, 6 inches or less I use the back blade on my '49 Ford 8n tractor. The tracton on the 8n is not that well in snow, but the weight of the blade works better than the quad plow.

I use a Meyer 7.5 ft. E-47 that came with a 1990 Bronco I once owned, now mounted to my Dodge 2500. With the extended cab and 8 foot bed, it's a long rig, but my driveway is 275 feet long with only one little bend.

The E-47 was long ago surpassed by faster, better, slicker setups, but it gets the job done and all the commonly needed parts are stocked by every auto parts store in northeast Ohio. Meyer is big here, as they are headquartered in Cleveland.

I tried a neighbor's ATV once. No thanks. It just can't handle the big snow we get here. I had to push everything out to the street and off to the side there to be taken away by the city plow trucks.

I have a Fisher that came with the truck but I use it for work. My driveway is the one all covered in snow hours after it has ended because I'm out making $$$. My next plow will most likely be a Curtis. My first two trucks had Westerns. They have a nice curve to the blade and back dragged great but on a heavy wet snow(spring) you would have to chain it up to prevent it from folding over all the time. Nothing stops a Fisher except it breaking down. I won't be getting any fancy v-plows or the one with wings that retract because it's just more fitting/hydraulic lines to break at 2AM in the middle of a blizzard!!!!!! I would go with what ever plow brand has a dealer close by for parts. Good luck and take your time until your used to plowing. Also push snow as far back as possible the first storm because it might not melt and you'll run out of room to stack it and it'll turn into a huge chunk of ice that won't move

OK, plow dudes ... where does one start the learning process about hooking up & purchasing a plow, etc?

Trucks an '05 F250, crew cab, 8 ft bed, off road & plow package (factory), and up fitter switches ( I don't know if they'd apply in a plow situation).

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
OK, plow dudes ... where does one start the learning process about hooking up & purchasing a plow, etc?

Trucks an '05 F250, crew cab, 8 ft bed, off road & plow package (factory), and up fitter switches ( I don't know if they'd apply in a plow situation).
1. Local dealers - local parts availability is second only to out of the box reliability. You'll probably also find that there are regional favorites due to the strength of local dealers, shipping costs, etc. There are tiers of service duty - commercial plows, homeowner plows, etc. A dealer can match up your needs with the appropriate unit and explain what it offers.

2. Local "Plow Dudes" - ask what they use and why they like it. These guys make a living moving snow. They know what's good and what's junk.

3. You'll pay for features (quick mount, fast action, size, for example) and reliability under adverse conditions. Snow plows are pretty simple devices, but they live in a harsh environment. You'll have to balance your budget with your demands. Some of the lighter weight homeowner type plows are fine for just doing your and your neighbors driveway, but you can't abuse them like the heavy commercial units.

4. Whatever you buy, follow the manufacturers maintenance instructions and budget for some tools and spare parts. Blowing a hose (happens to the best of them) at 11pm during a monster snowstorm with no spare can truly suck.

5. If you're handy, a self-installed used setup can be a real money saver. I moved my Meyer E-47 from one truck to another myself and rebuilt the pump with just a little help from a local repair guy. Again, these are pretty basic devices and are easily within the capabilities of a competent DIYer.

Status
Not open for further replies.