So Far Somersets Nothing Special

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
had 4 ton this year first ton was like I was used to, low ash great heat. the next three have been horrible ash, fills ash pan in less than a week, still O.K. heat. All that ash chokes the flame down.
Positive note only pay 179 a ton here in fall

Feel your pain but not three tons of it. I drew the short straw last year and got a ton (out of three) of the Somerset plague. So bad I called the factory looking for a refund. When they stopped laughing, they told me when the plant runs a batch of Hickory wood the resulting pellets are more ashy but "still within the premium pellet specification". Not sure about that, but they truly sucked. Would have preferred Infernals <>. Maybe too late, but I'd recommend cleaning your exhaust venting twice as often with those pellets.

When they aren't Hickory, they are great pellets IMHO. So good that I played roulette again this year and got three good tons. Other have said the percentage of Hickory is quite low so odds of getting them are too.

Feel your pain but not three tons of it. I drew the short straw last year and got a ton (out of three) of the Somerset plague. So bad I called the factory looking for a refund. When they stopped laughing, they told me when the plant runs a batch of Hickory wood the resulting pellets are more ashy but "still within the premium pellet specification". Not sure about that, but they truly sucked. Would have preferred Infernals <>. Maybe too late, but I'd recommend cleaning your exhaust venting twice as often with those pellets.

When they aren't Hickory, they are great pellets IMHO. So good that I played roulette again this year and got three good tons. Other have said the percentage of Hickory is quite low so odds of getting them are too.

They are a flooring mill (actually one of the largest domestic flooring mills operating) so I can see variations in wood stock as the production changes. Kinda like me with the 'itchy' pellets this year. Tom says they have cedar in them. Never had an itch issue until this year and only this last ton.

I'm in my 3rd year of 5 ton years of Sets with really no issues. Not to say they won't be at some point, but not yet. Of course this year I am diluting them with corn 50-50. I didn't last year or the year before or the year before because the PPB was too high.

I keep hearing that with a 50-50 mix, even crap pellets burn good.

A few years back I bought a full 22 ton trailer load from Sets, thank god they were all perfect. I would of been really upset about that. Had 1 bad ton last year. I guess we get spoiled easily.

had 4 ton this year first ton was like I was used to, low ash great heat. the next three have been horrible ash, fills ash pan in less than a week, still O.K. heat. All that ash chokes the flame down.
Positive note only pay 179 a ton here in fall
Where do you get em for $179? I thought I was doing well at $250! Only thing I saw last fall under $200 was easy heats.

As an aside... you've burnt 7 tons already?!?

Where do you get em for $179? I thought I was doing well at $250! Only thing I saw last fall under $200 was easy heats.

As an aside... you've burnt 7 tons already?!?

TSC Lancaster runs a beginning of the year sale. Not sure how you got 7 tons, burned 3 so far 1 left.

Status
Not open for further replies.