so far this year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookin2night

Jun 26, 2014
NW NEW JERSEY
How many cords have you all burned this year? I am going on cord number 5. 2700 sf house with 2 medium to small burners. Just want to gauge myself to the rest of the forum.

1.5 cord wood, 75 gallons oil for approx 1800-1900sq' in Northern CT

Last edited:
I'm in north west nj. I have used about 100 gallons of propane but I also use it for cooking and hot water.

I transitioned big time this year so my numbers are a bit off my norm. I installed a new elec water heater to replace a 15yr old oil fired h2o. Also went from using a extra large dutchwest stove in basement and small VC aspen stove in main floor to just a medium hearthstone stove on main floor. My norm has been 150gal oil and 3.5 cords wood.

Reactions: NextEndeavor
I am in NW CT also, heating 2200sqft(more like 3k with the high ceilings), plus a 600ish sqft basement, poor insulation. Running 1 wood stove and a pellet stove. Started burning off and on in october and slowly transitioned into 24/7. This is my first year burning also...
3.5 cord and 2 1/4 tons of pellets so far.

I just switched to a much more efficient wood stove and am already seeing a reduction in wood use.

And most importantly, zero propane since the new stove install.

Usually burn till about mid april off and on. 24/7 from Thanksgiving through mid march. 150gal was for heat and hot water. So, hopefully will not see the oil man untill 2016 or 2017. Although, also haven't seen my new electric bill yet.

I'm at 2.5 cords, been burning on low since mid October, a few warm snaps here made it easy for cleanouts. NO OIL CONSUMED THIS YEAR!!!!!!

Reactions: tarzan
Maybe 3/4 of a cord so far. 1550 sq feet, leaky ranch. Extended shoulder season here (still waiting for winter to show up) and burning fires of 3 small splits of well seasoned pine and doug fir. The walnut and oak would be way overkill. Constantly starting fires is a bit of a PITB; thank goodness for super cedars

Propane is so cheap we use that sometimes too right now.

3 cords. 2300 square feet. Furnace cold except for a couple of overnights when I was gone at Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Maybe 3/4 of a cord so far. 1550 sq feet, leaky ranch. Extended shoulder season here (still waiting for winter to show up) and burning fires of 3 small splits of well seasoned pine and doug fir. The walnut and oak would be way overkill. Constantly starting fires is a bit of a PITB; thank goodness for super cedars

Propane is so cheap we use that sometimes too right now.
That must be nice that propane is so cheap.

About a cord and a half. This is the least we have burned for many years. Normally we'd be around 2-2.5 cords at this point. The heat pump has been carrying the heating needs during this mild February. 2000 sq. ft.

Last edited:
Two cord and just cracked into number three today. 2500 sq. ft.

5 face cords and a pallet of eco crud completly out of burning material 2000 sq ft of leaky house ;lol first year really burning bad calculations oh well

Cookin2 night I am in sussex county just over 3000 sq ft burning a lopi 1750 downstairs and a hampton hi300 upstairs I have Burt right around 5 cords as well and have really my furnace does not kick on so not much oil

I am at 4.5 cords (out of 5)! I will be going over to oil. I have probably used about a half a tank of oil. This was primarily when I was out of town for 2 weeks and the nanny didn't want to manage the stove.

I guess I need 6 cords next year. I will be making sure to get the right length for my stove as these 16" ( stove can take 24) logs are stuffing the firebox for a solid overnight burn.

I am considering getting a grapple this spring. I didn't love spitting a downed tree but I can handle a hydraulic splitter.

I am at 4.5 cords (out of 5)! I will be going over to oil. I have probably used about a half a tank of oil. This was primarily when I was out of town for 2 weeks and the nanny didn't want to manage the stove.

I guess I need 6 cords next year. I will be making sure to get the right length for my stove as these 16" ( stove can take 24) logs are stuffing the firebox for a solid overnight burn.

I am considering getting a grapple this spring. I didn't love spitting a downed tree but I can handle a hydraulic splitter.
How big us your pad? One burner or two?

3.5 cords so far, almost no oil.
Even though I have used about a hundred gallons of propane this season I would say only about a quarter of that has been for heating. And that was only on the coldest if days this year.

How big us your pad? One burner or two?
3,000 sq ft. shape of a backward L. Living room very warm but the extremes of the house hover in the low 60's. Very old single floor house with swing-in windows (read: drafty!)

Cookin2 night I am in sussex county just over 3000 sq ft burning a lopi 1750 downstairs and a hampton hi300 upstairs I have Burt right around 5 cords as well and have really my furnace does not kick on so not much oil
You make me feel much more comfortable. We have been having a rough if not historically normal winter this year. I was hoping I was the only one around our area burning this much wood. I didn't have a great handle on it in the beginning of the season. Burning way more than I should be.

1-1/3 cord since 2nd week of November heating 1,400 sq ft. in northern il. The last time my propane delivery guy stopped by he looked po'd after reeling out his hose 60 ft through the snow to the tank for nuttin' bless his heart. Contracted 300 gal for this winter vs 800 gal on average prior to installing stove last Feb. Burned around 100-125 gal thus far for hot water and help from the furnace during the nasty cold snaps we've had and will be having again real soon so they say. :mad:

About a cord and a half. This is the least we have burned for many years. Normally we'd be around 2-2.5 cords at this point. The heat pump has been carrying the heating needs during this mild February. 2000 sq. ft.

About 1.5 here too. I usually burn up to 3.5 a year. I've been having a fire now and then recently just to bump the house temp up. I have a fire going now and it's 49 degrees out.

~2.5 cord, 2000 square foot ranch, in the high peaks of the Adirondacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.