So how effective is that insulation that we have around our liner - pretty effective

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I suppose I should tell of my setup first. I run a 30 to an external 25+ft block chimney that is lined with a terra cotta liner. I shoved a 5.5" insulated liner from Chimney Liner Depot down it and then stuffed some loose Kaowool blanket around the top to try to keep as much heat in as possible. I figured it might decrease the creosote a bit.

So back to the effectiveness:

The stove and chimney were cold since I've been working long hours and didn't have time to load and tend it. We also got about a foot of wet snow yesterday, so when I woke up this morning and looked at the chimney it looked odd with all the snow on top. I fired up the 30 to melt it off. The snow melted off the stainless that peaked up above the chimney and wetted down the outside of the block. I just went back out to gather wood (around 11pm) and noticed the chimney was still wet very wet. The chimney is cool enough where the water did not have any help evaporating off.

What can we gather from this? Well, I can't infer that gasses are moving faster or that less creosote is building up, but I can say that the heat that does leave the stove is not transferring to the block. For not that much insulation wrapped in a reflective liner, it's pretty effective.

Matt

I didn't have room for a ceramic blanket so I used vermiculite. For our chimney I had a custom stainless top made to seal and protect the chimney. I've seen snow on it before so I know the insulation works. Also before lining our chimney the base would get warm. Now no matter how high the temps are in the flue, the exterior is ice cold. I ran my ir thermometer up our chimney and seen consistent temperatures. There's definitely a difference.

When I clean a liner, I can tell right where the insulation stops, usually about a foot from the top. The creosote will be alittle glazed and sticky above the insulation, but still below the sealed top, below the insulation line the build up will only be powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.