1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

So, is there a problem?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by BoilerMan, Dec 24, 2012.

?

Anyone else "have a problem"?

1. No, just you!

20.0%
  2. Yes, I may..... as well

80.0%
  1. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Ok, so I was "caught" today with binoculars at the top of the driveway focused in on the boiler chimney......... It was during startup and I was looking for any water condensation dripping from the cap I made. It occured to me that with all that steam and little heat there could be condensation and wanted to check, do I have a problem? I mean, I'm spying on the chimney, and I get this big dumb smile when all I see is steam and no smoke when I go outside. Hmmmmm, I think, all that wonderful woodgas (smoke) being consumed and turned into BTUs as it should.

I was told that it's not a problem if I do not expierence withdrawls in summer, or interfear with my life in winter. I may have a problem, it may be more serious than I realized.

It was then suggested that I go to my local Woodburners Anonymous Group, my reply, "well I tried but they had a woodstove in the place of meeting. When I arrived, six people were watching three guys poking the fire, and two were on the roof with a chimney brush. There were several others sharpening their chains to 'go scouting in the woods'. " The only thing that seemed strange to me was they guys on the roof, there was a fire going and it was my thought that they should clean/inspect the flue once the fire had gone out, ah well.

True story, well not the WBAG part ;)

Merry Christmas all!

TS

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    What does your wife think about your actions? There's where the true answer lies.
  3. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    Yes my problem seems to be wood collecting. I have over 30 cord split and stacked. Which should be 5-6 years worth. With that said I am still itching to get in the woods and cut......

Oh, weighing my wood loads before burning and tracking for the day wouldn't be a problem would it?

gg
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Good one Taylor....BTW i still go out and stare at the chimney after start-up. :p Sign me up.
  5. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Cast your votes gentlemen! The wife says she knows there is a problem, and was not suprised by any of the above. LOL
  6. huffdawg

huffdawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    British Columbia Canada
    I always keep an eye out on the chimney. All I see usually is heat vapor lines and no smoke unless I have some bridging. I need to get wood though but my truck is layed up right now as I am installing a egr delete and a new oil cooler :(
  7. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    Sign me up. I might be beyond help though.
  8. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    EGR delete= more horsepower.......
  9. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Well, this evening I had to drag wood upstairs to the fireplace to make the annual fireplace Xmas Eve Fire on.

Didn't matter how good a case I was making that rather than do that, we all just take a chair to the basement & gather round the warm gassification glow our new boiler was making - they still needed their fireplace going. So maybe I'll just pour a drink & go down myself later after the kids get settled.

What problem? :p
  10. laynes69

laynes69 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashland OH
    I'll walk out at night with a spotlight and look at the chimney. We see steam also, and it's a good feeling. I also tend to notice every chimney on every home. There's also the problem of seeing wooded land with a ton of dead trees. My wife even comments look at all that firewood. Yeah I have a problem!