So... lost an argument with the wife regarding the stove and loading...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles1981

Minister of Fire
Feb 19, 2013
Michigan
Alas I had written instructions regarding reloading the stove for my wife:

1. open secondary air
2. open damper bypass
3. stir coals a little
4. reload
5. wait until stove top reaches 450-500
6. close damper bypass
7. close secondary air in 1/4 to 1/3 increments watching for the cat to take off in the rear of the stove.

She has not been stirring the coals when reloading, and she closes the damper immediately after reloading and starts closing the secondary much sooner than I do.

I went to show her the instructions outline in the book and realized it instructs to do exactly as she is doing! It instructs to not break down the coals but stir them to let ash drop through the bottom ( i almost always break down the larger chunks!). It then recommends reloading and closing the bypass immediately and even states that if the coal bed is sufficient you can within 5 minutes have the secondary air control closed down as well (i have been usually doing this over 15-20 minutes).

I always thought you wanted to char the wood a little bit and since I usually pack the stove to the griddle it takes a little longer for the top pieces to catch and char a little. I always though you would want the stove top to get back up to 450-500 as well before closing the damper.

So I am now eating some crow and taking some flak.

Anyway, I have been trying the method recommended now and It seems to be working very well. The stove top takes longer to get up to temperature but actually in the long run after 40 minutes or so the stove top has gone from 300 to 600 and stays there. The catalyst seems to be slower to take off, but once it does it really starts cranking (even better than using my previous method). We seem to be getting longer and more efficient burn times as well (maybe an extra hour but with far better heat output over the long term).

So what gives? Have i just had the wrong idea all along? I thought the general consensus was what I had been outline first....

My Wife sez it's a guy thing.....don't need not freakin' instructions....don't need no freakin' directions.......I get it all the time;em

Might be time to find out if there is a looooooooooooooooong list of things you've been doing wrong.

I know what you mean, I gave my Wife instructions on our new Non-Cat stove and come to find out I think she burns the thing better than I do. She lets me do the overnight load though cause she's not as good at packing it in there like me. So I guess she is better at operating it and I am better at loading. :)

I would think that if you don't get the temp up and char the wood closing the bypass damper would cause a lot of smoke [waste, pollution and creosote] not to mention possibly clog up the cat.

My only concern with closing the damper right away would be moisture from the wood. I usually let it go 5 minutes on a reload. Then I shut the primary down right away too. Seems like if I leave the primary open 10 minutes longer it costs me almost 2 hours of burn time. Now I have a BK so your luck may very.

My only concern with closing the damper right away would be moisture from the wood

Dont know much about the OP's stove but that would be a concern of mine, closing the air too soon could lead to problems down the road and you getting the last laugh or the last cry.

It ain't a competition, fellas. Little differences and tweaks between one operator and another is no big deal. As long as the stove is running properly - who cares that this lever or that bypass was closed 5 minutes earlier than you would have done it. I would also be willing to bet that the husband/wife drives different too. But both get to their destination.

Understand that Jags but I was wondering what his flue temps are running at.

Understand that Jags but I was wondering what his flue temps are running at.

My response was in general - not specific to any post.:)

You don't regulate the secondary air on a modern stove. You regulate the primary air.

As long as my wife loads the stoves, nothing is glowing, and the house is warm, I don't care how she makes it happen.

As long as my wife loads the stoves, nothing is glowing, and the house is warm, I don't care how she makes it happen.

I'm getting to this point with my husband...I still get antsy about a few things he does but in the end it works out so I guess I need to relax, lol. Like in the AM, if it's been really cold I'll reload in the middle of the night and there's a pretty good coal bed still. Like several (glowing red) inches deep. He'll throw a few pieces on that coal bed. So far he seems to have that habit all figured out and doesn't overfire it. Gives me angst now that we've got good seasoned wood that doesn't need all that heat to cook water out, but if it works, it works.

Just wait til your cat cracks and crumbles apart, then you can make her eat some crow.

Reactions: Macpolski
Just wait til your cat cracks and crumbles apart, then you can make her eat some crow.

Remember - SHE is the one doing it by the book.;lol

Hrmm this was less a commentary about my wife and I and more regarding proper stove operation :)

Like I said you all share the same concerns I have and was following what I thought was generally regarded as the proper way.

The problem is i break out the operation booklet and am show completely otherwise.

The stove is operating the same if not seemingly a little better without charring the wood (usually this involves leaving the bypass open for 15 minutes at least) but with the damper closed and the (primary/secondary whatever only knob left to control) air control open the wood still chars and catches but takes maybe 30 minutes or so and the stove top temperature rises slower.

I will have to move the temperature gauge to the flue...or just go get a second one.

The problem is I tried to talk to my wife about the recommendations here and she just laughs as she usually does about my wood forum and would by far rather take the word of the operating manual....

I do worry about the flue temperature and creosoting up the catalyst...

But it is running fairly well regardless of what method is used.

I guess as long as you keep an eye on creosote build up the worst thing that could happen is that the cat might be compromised and you'll create a bit more smoke. There might be wisdom in reaching running temp more slowly for a controlled burn. With my Oslo I try and slow it down in the early stages so the load lasts a bit longer.
I can't believe your wife laughs at us though.

Status
Not open for further replies.