So much for getting some Great American Pellets today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John97

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2011
Spring Hill, FL
I made another trip to get pellets today. I was hoping to get some Great Americans because I got the C&C Smith ones last time. Since my dealer sells both, I wanted to compare.

I was talked into the C&C Smith ones, told they were better. Read some reviews, was again assured by the sales guy that the C&C were better. Fine. That is what I went with. I was even told that they sometimes sell out of the C&C's so I should get them while I can. I got 30 bags to start.

Well they seem to have ALOT of fines, and I want to say a fair amount of ash. But, I have no real basis for comparison. I did get one bag of Great American from my neighbor and they seemed to have less fines. I didn't clean my stove before using them, so I can't comment on the ash.

So, I get up there. I tell the sales guy I want the GAP's this time. He tells me they are out of them and again recommends the C&C's. I kinda have a feeling they are pushing the C&C's because they aren't selling well compared to the GAP's.

So, I begrudgingly got 40 more bags of the C&C's. Tomorrow, I will go up there again and get 40 more. I have an opportunity to pick them up this weekend and can't wait. My wife is going out of state later this week for a few weeks to visit our daughter. Since our daughter needs a car, we are giving her what currently serves as a pellet hauler. I do have a truck, but it's getting some repairs, body and mechanical (my wife backed into it). I won't have it back for a few months because a friend is doing me a favor and I told him to take his time.

After my run tomorrow, I still have 40 bags more to get. I am going to tell them I want GAP's.

this is for what "owed" you correct? when was down there last week they didn't offer what brands they carried (didnt matter because the jeep was stuffed to the gills with hardwood heat) I would call before I made another trip.

For what it is worth, I like the Great Americans a lot.

I really think they have trouble selling the C&C's so they push them over the GAP's. Plus, they charge more for the C&C's.

I have no choice, I need to make another run today for 40 more bags. I want to make sure I have enough pellets to get me through January and February because I probably won't have my truck back until late February or early March.

I gotta say, I think I had an initial bad batch of pellets.

The first 30 bags of C&C's I picked up had a whole lot of fines in each bag and lots of short/small pellets.

However, the 40 I picked up over the weekend and the 40 today I picked today are another story. There is very noticeable difference between these and my initial batch. First of all, there is a VERY small amount if fines. Secondly, there are hardly any small pellets. Most of the pellets are all about the same size, and seem more "solid" - don't break/crumble as easy.

I still want to get my hands on the GAP's, but I am not going to knock the C&C's anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.