so much for "greene team"...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
So I pulled the trigger last weekend on 3 tons of Greene Team, from Lowe's, with the special they have. Delivery set up for today. The driver just showed up with a truck load of Penningtons. :bug:

I had to send him away. "no thanks". I'll settle for something lest than absolute nirvana, if its accompanied by a good deal, and people have spoken highly of Greene Teams here. But even with their good discount, I'm not settling for nature's heat. no way.

Seems that Lowe's feels that "pellets" are a simple commodity, and are all the same, as they have only 1 sku number in their system. no differentiation in brands at all. I told the clerk who rang up my sale that I specifically want greene team; she didn't have any way to put that into the system. She spoke to someone, and then assured me that it would be all set...then lo, and behold, I get a truck-load of crap.

We'll see what the manager has to say when they call me. 8-/

If I were you I would've told them to call me FIRST before even loading the truck, then I'd personally go to the store to make sure they load what I want.

Good luck, hopefully they should fix it up for you.

Wow, when I saw the thread subject I was thinking, oh no, a bad review for Greene Team. Glad it wasn't the case, though I guess the jury is still out on the quality of those for this season. We'll all see soon enough whether we've been suckered by low-ball prices! Certainly won't want to be hearing the 'told you so' from BTU!! ;-))

So I've been in touch with the delivery manager at my Lowe's for each of the last three weeks keeping tabs on what shipments they're getting in. The guy would have to be deaf and dumb to send me the Peningtons! I burned Clean Energy (also from Lowes) a bit this weekend, seemed quite nice as far as ash and heat goes, but I used barely 2/3 of a bag so am not ready to give an assessment of them just yet. Ultimately, I will probably try to get Lowes to send me a mixed order of Clean Energy & Greene Team.

Here in the Northeast we'll see the first real blast of the chilly stuff starting tomorrow and stoves across the region will crank up. Look forward to all the reports from pelletheads near and far!

The driver didn't call you first to confirm delivery?

IMO If you order a certain brand from them in the future, insist the clerk/cashier put that info
in the "special comments" field on their form/receipt. Thats what it is for.
If it is not in writing, passing on the information never happened.

I had a similar experience a few weeks back when Lowes promised 4 tons Greene Team and delivered Pres To Logs. This was the Gilford NH location. With me they made good and re-delivered the correct ones on the same day and that is with me being 40 minutes drive time away from their location. I was lucky as they had only severeral tons of Green Team left and were not expecting any more from their distributor.

Big Box store woes for sure. Bottom line, is that they did try for me and made good.

tinkabranc said:
The driver didn't call you first to confirm delivery?

IMO If you order a certain brand from them in the future, insist the clerk/cashier put that info
in the "special comments" field on their form/receipt. Thats what it is for.
If it is not in writing, passing on the information never happened.

Not the driver; someone called yesterday and left a message on my machine, saying that they'd be here between 8 and 11. that's all...

I thought they did use the "special comments"...but I guess not.

It really puzzles me that an organization this large would have such a casual attitude about this...only one item number for "pellets". The sign in the door didn't say "pellets--whatever we happen to have in stock: $xyz". The sign was on a stack of Greene Teams; I specifically asked for Greene Teams; to deliver anything else to my door is tantamount to "bait and switch", and is illegal. Even if they aren't pellet experts, they should know better.

I hear ya, but it is a misunderstanding, not really bait and switch.
As you mentioned, they have one sku# for all pellets and their brands change constantly.

I am sure they will make good and bring you the brand you wanted, but obviously mistakes
like this waste time for everyone involved.

Note: I do not work for them in case you are wonderin ;-)

cac4 said:
......The sign was on a stack of Greene Teams; I specifically asked for Greene Teams; to deliver anything else to my door is tantamount to "bait and switch", and is illegal. Even if they aren't pellet experts, they should know better.

CAC, I'm not making excuses for them, but remember, there are different shifts working, different days, and we all know that there is a HIGH turnover in help in these places (mostly younger).

Still no real excuse, especially if the "comment/special instructions" section of the order said "Greene Team only".

like the thread title says..."so much for that". Guy from Lowe's called me...said that all they had was the Pennington's...called around to several other area stores, and thats all they have, too. C'es la vie.
guess I should've moved quicker.

He told me the same thing that someone at HD told me last year, which was that they have no control over what they get or when they get it. it just "shows up" on a tractor trailer.

So, it looks like I'm back in the market for pellets. At least, "availability" isn't an issue, this year. Its that bulk discount that was most attractive, seeing as I'm unemployed...every little bit helps.

cac4 said:
He told me the same thing that someone at HD told me last year, which was that they have no control over what they get or when they get it. it just "shows up" on a tractor trailer.

Make sure you are speaking with someone who knows about the pellets. Both of the Lowes near me were able to tell me what brands were coming in and approx when they would be comming.

Good luck !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.