So size does allegedly count...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureFirebug

Mar 25, 2011
NW AR
So now that I have a better idea of how I want to run my vent pipe, I am making a final decision on the actual stove. Definitely soapstone. Agonizing over best size. It gripes my hiney that Woodstock does not have their New Stove further along....but it's not expected until later this summer. No Price. No final nuthin until after it goes to UL for testing and listing. Having a cat stove if it is well designed makes sense for longer shoulder seasons. I visited a neighbor who heats with a new (1 season old) Fireview. Beautiful stove. Metal casting is high quality--better than Hearthstones I have seen. If Woodstock were ready to give me a price and pre-order a New Stove, I'd jump. As it is, their sales woman thinks that a Fireview might be a little undersized for my application.
House footprint is 30x40
House layout again: great room is 20x30 with 20 ft vaulted ceiling and two ceiling fans
The rest of the first floor is kitchen, bath and guest room--8 ft ceilings
Upstairs is open loft master bedroom with fan, bath, and a guest room-- all 8 ft ceilings
Total floor space is 2000 This puts us on the cusp for several different models, so to speak.
Lots of Anderson gas filled, double pane windows, 2x6 wall studs insulated. I still feel drafts from some power outlets and doors--with these winds, it's no surprise

I have one salesman insisting on Hearthstone Mansfield and one insisting on a Heritage.
What's a customer to do? Ask good people who aren't making a sale....
Sure wish the New Stove were ready, but I do not want to be caught out in these troubled times with a unit to be purchased for some unknown price at some unknown date. This ant must prepare for winter!
At least I've been able to split and stack 2 cords in the past week. I'm tired!
Any help is much appreciated

Hi -

Hopefully some soapstone folks will chime in. Is this a home, or a weekend place?

I'm inclined to go big for overnight burns and good heat output. The closer to 3 cubic feet the better. Sounds like the fans will make good use of the heat. If a weekend place they take a lot of heating to warm in the first 12 hours.

ATB,
Mike P

As someone who sells Hearthstone but is not trying to sell you a stove, I would say go with the Mansfield. Easier loading, longer burn times, easy to use, better door, very forgiving. Of all the Hearthstone stoves to use (and I have a few hooked up in my showroom) The Mansfield wins and is the first stove I light.

The Fireview may be stretching it but we've known of others who have heated that size and more. Lots depends upon insulation. The layout of the house does not sound that difficult (especially with the good windows) to work with except for the high ceiling. Also your location is in your favor as you should not get the extreme temperatures like you would in the north. No doubt that lady was trying to cover herself because generally they do recommend 1200 sq ft for the Fireview as maximum.

I agree and am a bit disappointed on the new stove. We thought it would be out on the market by now but they still have lots to do to finish it. They are saying summer but I'm betting September at the earliest. I do know they are having some problems with suppliers and that is part of the holdup but any time something new like this comes on the market it seems to take more time than expected. Good for them to make sure it is right before it hits the market but it does leave a lot of anxious people.

On the Hearthstone, I would not think they would recommend a Heritage over a Mansfield! We did look at that Heritage before we bought the Woodstock Fireview as it is a beautiful stove.

I think the Fireview would be fine for your house in AR. Woodstock's numbers are pretty conservative and I think the Fireview is somewhere in between the Mansfield and Heritage in output if you look at the true usable fire box sizes and difference in efficiency. I heated 2000 sq ft in WI with a Fireview in a finished basement install and my upstairs never went below 70 unless it got real cold like single digit temps and strong winds. I'd probably still wait til the end of summer to see if the new stove will be ready but you could always try the Fireview for 6 months and if it doesn't work out return it and get the new stove next spring.

What size is the neighbor's house? How did the Fireview work out for them?

What a great Forum Y'all have here! Thanks so much for all the input. It is my full time home that I am purchasing the stove for. We currently run propane central heat, but with the state of the world and the amount of off grid time we get with winter ice storms--now is our moment to get serious and get good use from all our beautiful (but standing dead) mature oaks and maples. There is not a tree in our entire county untouched by the ice storm two years ago. What I can't make use of, I will try to season well for others less fortunate.

Not having wood burning experience, it is so important that I get this right. It would be a real bear to have to replace such an expensive purchase, much less size my hearth construction properly for what we will need. We are also installing two cisterns and guttering to feed them...you get the picture. Can't get prepared soon enough for me. I've been asleep waiting this long to realize a wood stove would be perfect for us. Now if I buy a possibly too small Fireview, I won't know until the six month trial runs out. Won't matter if the New Stove is way overdue or not--temp here was 87 today! The stove I saw was lovely heating a smaller home that was basically one storey and was choked all the way down till it was just barely hot enough for the cat to fire. It had been frosty the night before. They seem to have no trouble having coals enough in the morning to fire up again and keep their home temp even. What a nice design to be able to access the cat from above and to stoke from the side. My inexperience gives me little reference as to how much difference my cathedral ceiling will make, as well as my decision to run a fair amount of exterior vent pipe and how that will affect the draft for a larger or smaller unit.

I would think the Mansfield would work well if we are forced to go with Hearthstone--I just don't have any personal experience to call on to know if I can run it hot enough in shoulder seasons to keep it clean--or whether it will give my hot flashes a run for their money all winter. Snow angels in the front yard made by old ladies are not nearly as cute as those made by little girls. I might shock the neighbors (if I had any). Sigh.

I can't thank everyone enough for helping me by sharing your experiences. This is a tough one and I'm trying so hard to get it right. Crunch time is here as the Hearthstone sale ends the 15th. Wish us luck and keep the input coming.

Also keep that six month trial period in mind. No company that I am aware of will match this guarantee. For sure you would know even before the six months are up if it will do the job for you. Buy a different stove, and if it is not the best, you are stuck. Tough luck.

btw, because you are new to burning wood, be sure to visit the Wood Shed too where lots of us talk just about cutting and seasoning wood and storing wood. Tons of good information there with some very friendly guys. Well, visit all the forums here at hearth.com so you can get a taste for all. Good luck.

+1 for Mansfield over Heritage. Even if your climate is a little tempered compared out here in NH, you have a lot of space to heat and you don't want to be undersized after spending that kind of money. The Mansfield is a joy to burn - I'd go for it if you want stone and can't wait for Woodstock. Cheers!

Nothing wrong with a Hearthstone Mansfield. I would venture to say we have a colder climate here and my friend heats a 2800 sq ft log home with one. His burn times are a little bit shorter than he would like on the coldest days and he wishes now he would have gotten the Equinox as it's always easier to have a smaller fire than to run it hard.

Just a little tip to the OP. I'd go bigger than you think you need. I also have a great room with about 20 foot ceilings and two ceiling fans (set to winter circulation). The Lopi dealer said my insert with blower would heat it no problem, with slightly lower temps in the rest of the house. I was skeptical but went along since a free-standing would have required hearth mods. Well, at 600-700 degree stove top temps and blower cranking I could barely crack 65 degrees in the great room, with a maximum of 3-4 hour burn times. Not impressed at all. This is in a 1700 sq ft home built in 2002 with solid insulation.

It was an expensive lesson. I've decided to keep the Lopi for shoulder season and throw in a Firelight with vented double wall on the other side of the great room for my main heat. I'm not making the same mistake again. I'd rather have to open windows because I'm too hot than sit 5 feet from my stove while bundled up. GO BIG!

Whichever stove you decide on...

GIT YER WOOD CUT, SPLIT, AND STACKED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to yell, the emotional moment has passed now. ;)

Ed

Went back and read your original post and see that you're well on your way to gettin' the wood in!
So size does allegedly count...

Wow Swampster,
What's the octane level on your coffee this morning?
I suspect that it will be several years before I am content with my woodpile-to-be. My current split and stack frenzy barely makes a dent. I have several mature oaks most very dead, but too large for my Stihl 250 (only a 16" bar). Will have to beg, borrow or rent something larger to bring them down to my level for splitting. Perhaps a fine job for my most excellent Hubby...
I have angst enough over this dang stove purchase choice. Ha!
Stay warm, Alabama

Hi Firebug,

I missed reading what you've finally settled on for a location for your stove, and how you're going to run the stovepipe, and whether you're going to DIY or find a contractor. Spill, please!

I have a Heritage, and am completely happy with it in all aspects. I like the big, unobstructed view of the fire. I like the convenience of two doors. I *love* being warm. It was bought as a supplemental heater, but rose nobly to the whole-house heater task when my boiler failed this winter. I like the looks of the stove in my house--which is more hobbit hole than Rivendell Hall, as I'm wont to say. I'd been 99% sure that I was going with a Fireview, and then did a last-minute swerve, and it was the right thing to do. For me.

I don't think you should get one.

There are a few things in life where it doesn't make sense to settle, and I won't go into what the others are because I'm not that brilliant, but about this I am: get the stove you want and love--don't just go running off and buy to be buying because winter's coming. Here's a paper bag--breathe into it for a little bit until you stop feeling lightheaded. Winter has come before on an ongoing basis, just shows up regular as rain. Now you're going to do what you're going to do, but at least please consider the advice that Dennis gave you--it's good stuff.

Getting the Mansfield (which is what I would advise over the Heritage, considering your ceilings) would be akin to marrying a perfectly fine man that you don't love because your parents think it would be a good idea. I think you'd be unconsciously looking for reasons to prove yourself right that you shouldn't have gotten this one--you'll never quite be as happy with it as you will with the stove you really want. If you get the stove you love, and it's not quite what you wanted, then these features will become endearing quirks that make it more interesting to you. And your posts make it very clear that you want the Woodstock stove.

I'm going to expand on the Savage woodsman's advice, and recommend that you put in an order now (so you can relax already) for a mid-September delivery of a Fireview, and then get on with all the other wonderful projects that will satisfy the ant in you. Consider taking advantage of the tax break and installing a wind generator so that you can keep that fan running in your power outages. Stock up your pantry. Work on your cisterns and wood supply. Build your hearth. Put solar panels on the roof. Keep the paper bag folded up in your back pocket, and get on here and post when your gotta-buy-a-stove-today fever spikes. We'll talk you off the ledge.

If the Next Big Thing has been released before the Fireview comes, then consider whether you want to upgrade to that size before they ship. If not, give the Fireview a fair trial and see if it will do the job. If you run it all winter and it can't warm your house adequately, then swap it out for the bigger stove. If Woodstock never releases that new stove, and the Fireview doesn't cut it, return it and then you'll be ready to give the Mansfield a fair look.

Sorta like that movie they made back in the 'forties about the farm boy--let's call him Jack---who's in love with the girl on the next farm, who's determined to marry herself a city man--let's call him Pierre--but then she finds out that Pierre is not really all she hoped he was, and then a tornado hits, and Pierre is huddling in the storm cellar with the chickens, and Jack comes over and saves her dog--let's call him the dog--then she realizes that Jack has all the fine qualities that she wanted all along. And they live happily every after.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Snowleopard,

We have come to the same conclusion, though my route has been a bit more circuitous. We shall see what arrangements I can make with Woodstock so that I will not be left without a stove for the coming year. Business should be earned, and I will reciprocate Woodstock's service by being a very good customer. I think I will take the risk and give them the opportunity to further impress me. :) The quality of the Fireview I traveled to see in person has been a good selling point. I like the design in that the cat was easily accessed. I did not see any mineral fiber blanketing to be replaced, as I did on the Mansfield. The concept of a well designed cat seems to be another plus for me. The Fireview I saw was cruising along with clear exhaust on lower temps, something that would be great for our long shoulder season. Here's hoping that the New Stove is as fine or better. One way or another, I hope that whatever comes to pass for me will prove useful info for others. That will be how I can pay everyone here back for their kind attentions.

Onwards to optimum wood seasoning and storage, hearth construction and venting installation

Status
Not open for further replies.