so we went to the stove store today.... part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
to follow up on:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13416/

We went to another stove store today. We were shown a Jotul Castine, and a Pacific Energy: Vista.

We liked both stoves. The Jotul ended up being a little out of the price range we want to spend (about $3,300 installed). The PE also looked like a pretty nice unit, and the price was a little closer to our mark (at about $2,700 installed). The problem I seem to keep running into is the situation of overnight burns. Both stoves sport about an 8 hour burn time, which I am guessing means I can only really expect to see 5-6 hours in realistic time. Indeed, that was confirmed by the hearth.com review section. The next step up on the PE line claimed to heat 2000 sqft, we were a little afraid that a stove that size would cook us out of the house. So first question, would getting a stove rated pretty high over your square footage just really roast you out of the house? Our house is 1350 sqft,but the insulation in this house isn't.....really the greatest, and the stove is rated for 2000 sqft. Is that enough of a difference (between manufacturer claims, and real-world heating ability) to be too much? We did not get a price on the larger PE stove, but I can't imagine it would be THAT much more. I am willing to put the extra couple hundred bucks into the stove up front, but not if it'll give me sunburns every time I walk by.

Unfortunately, unless I'm wrong, it looks like you pretty much have no choice but to get a large stove in order to achieve overnight burns. Have I assumed to quickly?

Thanks
-pr0v

IF you want long burn times which requires a larger fire box but you dont want to cook your self out. Spend some money and buy a CAT stove.
To me a 8 hour burn is a minimum. Loading the stove once a day Max twice when its 30 below id say it pays for itself. Plus you will have a stove
that requires O fuss in the shoulder season that you can actually load up to the max instead of baby sitting it with one split @ a time. Do some more
searching. Theres somthing out there for U.

You can always build a small fire in a bigger stove, but not a big fire in a small stove, My thoughts are the "ratings" on stoves as far as Square footage, I would worry to much about getting a stove that heats up too 2000 sqft, you will be thankful you have it on days like this past week when it got Cold. I have a quad 5700. it is a monster stove , I have kept it going today one log at a time. I am too lazy to let it go out and start it again. It is producing just enough heat to keep the house nice and warm.
The bottom line, the bigger the fire box the more heat ,and or, the longer the fire. PE from what I have read is a outstanding company. Have you checked out More Than Stoves in Colchester.
Also check out Preston Trading Post. When I bought my Quadra-fire they had the best price by far with 3 states.

If your insulation is poor then yes, I'd look into a medium size stove. There is times when your going to need the extra BTU's the small stove can't give you.

Have you looked at Woodstock soapstone stoves? I'm sitting 7' away from mine and the stove top is 500, not even sweating, I couldn't do that with the old steel stove.

pr0vidence said:
The PE also looked like a pretty nice unit, and the price was a little closer to our mark (at about $2,700 installed). The problem I seem to keep running into is the situation of overnight burns. Both stoves sport about an 8 hour burn time, which I am guessing means I can only really expect to see 5-6 hours in realistic time. Indeed, that was confirmed by the hearth.com review section. The next step up on the PE line claimed to heat 2000 sqft, we were a little afraid that a stove that size would cook us out of the house.

I run a Vista freestanding in our fireplace and the first thing I'll say is I really like it. It fits the heat needs of my ~1,800 SF ranch pretty well but only heats the core ~1,400 feet or so. The bedrooms stay a bit cooler which we like. I have a pretty strong draft in my chimney and have never seen an 8 hour burn. 3.5 to 4.5 hours is average depending on the temp and 6 is about the longest heat life. I haven't even tried an overnight burn. The firebox is too small, and it's hard to pack it in north-south unless you have very short wood. The F400 has a bigger firebox but I don't think a whole lot bigger. I couldn't find the specs for it.

I think you could definitely go up to a Pacific Energy Spectrum, Super 27 or Fusion without cooking yourself out. I have a very well insulated house. It's only 4 inch walls but we put 1.5 inches of foamboard over the old sheathing when we re-sided the house and put in new windows and blew an extra 6 inches in the attic cap. The upper square footage ranges of those stoves are 2,000 SF like you mentioned but that's in a well-insulated house is a moderately cold climate. If you have only OK insulation then you will probably need the extra capacity to offset the higher heat loss.

I can get an overnight burn (10:30pm - 6:00am) out of my small Dutchwest Catalytic stove if I fill it up tight. I think a lot of it has to do with what king of wood you are burning as well.

Hi prov, I heat 2100 sq. ft. 24/7 with cathedral ceilings on the second floor with a F 500. It heats the house more than adequate. I load at 10p and at at 6a there are plenty of hot coals to get the fire going again. I think the firebox in the F 400 is just a bit smaller than the F 500. Hope this helps.

Jim

I have a PE Summit and I can honestly say this is a great, long burning stove. I was thinking of going with the smaller stove but only the Summit has the EBT, Extended Burn Technology, which is a little coil and the bottom of the stove that senses if you need more draft when you close the stove down to get that desired overnight burn. This stove has a rating of 96,000 BTU which really means nothing. The real choice of this stove is the 48,000 BTU you will get on an overnight burn. This reason alone sells the stove. Many stove can give you the overnight burn, but not too many can give you 48,000 BTU's.

This is why you should think about spending a little extra on the Summit as opposed to the Vista or Super 27. You can always close the stove down, like I do. The bigger firebox you will appreciate, and like I said before the long overnight burns are very nice. You wake up still many hot coals, put some wood in an Viola you are back in business......

I love these stoves, this and the Olympic by Avalon. Just make sure you have at least 15 feet of pipe from stovetop to chimney cap, this is mandatory. I have just added 3 feet more for a total of 17 feet, man what a difference!

Do a search under PE Summit and you will hear more from myself, Elk, Hogwildz, and others that love these stoves because of the long, hot burns

Good Luck and remember bigger is usually better when it comes to a stove, esp with an older or not the best insulated house

The PE Spectrum/Classic was tested as the longest burning stove from a group of 60 by Tom Oyen & Co.. It is one step above the Vista. My next door neighbor has one and I'm jealous of his long burns. Overnight burns are not an issue for him. I would go for this stove in your sized house. It's a nice fit and a great medium-sized stove.

Personally I hope I never have to go with a wood stove again but if I did the obvious choice for me would be the Pacific Energy Spectrum Super series . I`ve had a few stoves myself and I am familiar with scores of others but nothing I have ever seen beats a PE Spectrum.
I`ve had coals left in the fire box 18 hrs after a burn cycle.
It cut my wood useage in half.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.