So what is the right temperature for you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting.
LOML is usually complaining that the house is too warm (70), while that's where I like it. However, she sits in one of the recliners with a small quilt on. I sit in the other one or my computer chair, long johns and sometimes a robe. She walks around the house with shorts and short sleeve t-shirt. No socks or slippers. Most of the house is on slab. I wear socks AND slippers.
Temp need also depends on the weather and what is being done around the house. Mid to upper 60's is fine if we're keeping busy, but once I sit down for a while, that's too cool.
I try to keep the house around 70 or so MOST of the time, but it fluctuates. I left the place warm when I left yesterday (70), with a fire going. I got home to the house at 63, and my wife was on her laptop in the recliner with her quilt and dogs, and never mentioned being cold.
I started a fire.
The day before, I came home to the house warm, and a nice fire in the stove. Try to figure that one out.
So, to summarize, somewhere between 60-72. :lol:

76* in the house right now and I'm sweating my butt off. I normally keep it around 70-72*

71 to 72 for me.
I am usually too hot at home, as the wife and kids like it hotter than I do.
Only thing I dislike is cold floors, in a perfect world house would be maybe 70, and floors 75 lol

80....but bedroom must be cooler...i like to leave the bedroom door shut so when we go to bed is really really cool in there for a while.

It depends on a lot of things- where you were born and raised, your metabolism, your weight, your immune system. I'm a skinny little thing from Texas- I'm happy with my house at a nice 76 degrees and I think a 90 degree day with about 60% humidity is perfect. My husband's a bear at 6'4" and 280 pounds and grew up in Utah, he can wear a tee shirt when it's 30 degrees out and snowing. We're both truly miserable when we're out of our element. When a room is under about 65 degrees for me, my joints start to creak and pop and my feet and hands start to get so cold I feel numb. When my husband's in anything above 70 he wants to stand in front of the icebox.

Shoot for a happy medium, buy her some shearling slippers and a down comforter for Christmas, open a window right next to you, or spring for a little space heater to knock one room up a few degrees.

~Rose

First winter with the wood stove...I'm finding 73-75F to be a good, comfortable, warm range. It's amazing how much warmer we feel this winter compared to the 69-70F heat pump only heat...then I would wear a long sleeve t-shirt, sweatpants and most of the time socks and sometimes a sweatshirt. The wife would also be complaining about it being COLD in the house...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

I keep the thermostat set at 64 in the day. With the woodstove it usually holds 64-67. The bedroom is closed off so when we go to bed its around 53-55F... but the bed is pre-heated with an electric blanket :) its quite comfortable that way.

68-74 degrees F . . . cooler at night while I sleep.

Oil boiler thermostat is set to kick on at 60 degrees F . . . the temp at which if it is any cooler I will be reluctant to get out of bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.