So what's ya favorite wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man "termite Turds exploding" was the funniest! ROFLMAO but that wasn't the question was it:)
Well .......interesting replies and it certainly seems the choices are first governed by regional location as the only Locust I've ever seen were of the insectoid flavor that were eating my wife's garden:)
As I look back I guess I left maple off my list only because I only scrounged about 1/2 cord of it this year and its in my 2012/2013 stacks and while I know I have been burning some from my 4 cord mixed bunch that I bought for short money that I have not been paying much attention to as far as what species I am throwing into the fire but as I think of it I'd imagine Maple would be right up there as my number two as I have no memories of problems splitting that stuff by hand and what I think is maple I have been more than willing to feed it into the stove for my last feed of the night (how's that for a fracking run on sentence? LOL ). Someone else said they were 3 years ahead as I think I am (we'll see after this season:) thus that's why I asked thinking I may have the luxury of being picky for a while and actually may get to do some fishing next year instead of scrounging:)
Guess for my region, availability and temperament I'll remain an "ash" man:)

blacktail said:
Ditto on the cottonwood. Let it dry long enough and it'll burn, but I don't even bother.

Hey you guys, quit pick'in on my Cottonwood! I've been happily burning that stuff all season. It seasons quick, lights easy,burns hot,it's the perfect shoulder season wood (and its been a looooong shoulder season in the North East!). Also good for stretch fires.

Yea, Yea, I know, it's hard to split, too heavy when wet for it's BTU's, and doesn't smell so great. :long:

White Oak, especially when it is in the barrels that are used to age my favorite beverages, that are associated with post firewood processing.

Good God my English teacher would have cringed at that ros! :)

Hickory, sugar maple and black birch. Tho others maples are fun bc of how quick they season. Got both kinds of locust for next on hand.

Had a fire of all sugar and one red maple last night. Good size splits, loaded to the brim. Loaded at 7. Today at 5 I kid you not, I KID YOU NOT, I had enough fist size coals to start the fire I have tonite. Yep, love the sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.