Q&A soapstone & grout filling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello there. Great, informative website, thanks for all the insight.

I have a 6 year-old Hearthstone Harvest soapstone woodstove. The space between the soapstone tiles on the top surface have slowly receded to about to of an inch deep, and getting deeper.

My two questions are:
1.) is this normal and
2.) if not, is there a type of "grout" or cement available that I should use to refill these crevices?

Answer:

The factory uses a furnace cement that is made of ground up soapstone. Regular furnace or refractory cement would also work, but I don't know how good it would look. Unless it has gotten to the point where you can see fire through the crack..or smoke comes out, then you should probably do nothing for now.

A definitive answer can be obtained by email HearthStone..visit their web site at http://hearthstonestoves.com

Link: hearthstonestoves.com

Status
Not open for further replies.