SOB... PE Summit/Liner Clean out with No cover on the Baffle port!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
OK, am I screwed?

I pulled the baffle, and swept the liner top down only to realize that I forgot to cover the baffle port... I got about 1/8" of fine black creosote powder in the bottom of the burn chamber, only a 1/2 cup full total... I'm assuming given the baffle port is directly below the liner that a bit more fell into the port. It was all very fine powder, nothing chunky or sticky. Should I worry or just let air movement pull it out next year when I fire up the stove?

Also, I noticed about a 5" crack on the top of the baffle. Is this something to worry about?

This is my second season and second clean out. I totally spaced covering the port! SOB!

Nope, you're ok, it will just require a bit more work. Take a piece of 5/8 or 3/4" hose and duct tape it to the end of the hose on a shop vac. You can fit this into the secondary feed tube and vacuum it out. Also, on the older ones the secondary tube is just a straight drop down and open with a slit on the bottom behind the ash pan. Pull the ash pan and vacuum out behind it. On the newer model you may need to pull the EBT to remove any stuff that fell down in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.