soft flu pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
A friend just had his oil boiler cleaned and the service man replaced the flu pipe from the furnace to the chimney because it was soft.
What is soft flu pipe?

kenny chaos said:
A friend just had his oil boiler cleaned and the service man replaced the flu pipe from the furnace to the chimney because it was soft.
What is soft flu pipe?

Acid from the flue gasses will eventually erode the metal. How long that takes depends upon the particulars of the system.

As the metal gets thinner, it's no longer as strong as it was, and a lot of folks will call it "soft."

As to what it is... I've found flue pipes where I was literally able to poke my finger right through the side of the pipe. Others that were still hole-free, but soft as tinfoil.

Stainless pipe lasts longer under adverse conditions, but is quite expensive...

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.