Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
I just bought a ton of AWF softies for $278, gonna give them a go in my Harman insert

The softies seem to burn very well/hot , wife likes the smell of pine as well!! (bonus)

Complaining about the late season pellets prices reminds me of the story "The Ant and the Grasshopper" :)

I found this interesting paragraph in Wikipedia when I looked up the fable of the ant and the grasshopper: the ant turns greedy

There was, nevertheless, an alternative tradition in which the ant was seen as a bad example. This was expressed as a counter-fable in Greek and appears as number 166 in the Perry Index.[10] It relates that the ant was once a man who was always busy farming. Not satisfied with the results of his own labour, he plundered his neighbours' crops at night. This angered the king of the gods, who turned him into what is now an ant. Yet even though the man had changed his shape, he did not change his habits and still goes around the fields gathering the fruits of other people's labour, storing them up for himself. The moral of the fable is that it is easier to change in appearance than to change one's moral nature.

No I'm not kidding you. I just looked they have pushed thier prices up even more.

Douglas Fir Super Super Premium Softwood Pellets: $419/ton. $9.00/bag.
Holy cow! $419 a ton is like paying $3.50 a gallon for heating oil, and that's what I paid to fill my tank earlier this Winter. I know DFs are great, but how can one payoff a stove if the pellets cost as much as oil! My local Lowes has 2x4s made of DF, I wonder how much it would cost to crush those into pellets. ;)

Reactions: Danny9909
I found this interesting paragraph in Wikipedia when I looked up the fable of the ant and the grasshopper: the ant turns greedy

There was, nevertheless, an alternative tradition in which the ant was seen as a bad example. This was expressed as a counter-fable in Greek and appears as number 166 in the Perry Index.[10] It relates that the ant was once a man who was always busy farming. Not satisfied with the results of his own labour, he plundered his neighbours' crops at night. This angered the king of the gods, who turned him into what is now an ant. Yet even though the man had changed his shape, he did not change his habits and still goes around the fields gathering the fruits of other people's labour, storing them up for himself. The moral of the fable is that it is easier to change in appearance than to change one's moral nature.
Most be the Disney version I am thinking of:)

Their on the Cape called The Stove Center.
Shop around you can get those same type of pellets for a better price,and a lot closer to you.

In our area, one dealer (where we bought our original stove, and overpaid) was selling Hamer's for about 40% more than anyone else early this year. Granted, they're not easy to get in this area, but I've found he charges like that on pretty much everything. I'll pay a bit more for good service, but 40% more? Let's just say he's not my dealer any more. Shop around - it pays!

I have posted a few times over the years about the fuel prices at Cape Cod Stove Center.

Their prices are always high. Crazy high!!.

I guess their business model allows them to not work hard at moving volume.

Had a cabinetmaker buddy of mine years ago that did that too.
He charged super high prices but worked a lot less. It worked for him. Gave him plenty of free time.

To each his/her own. It must be working for them because they are still in business.

---Nailer---

FYI
I just called June at J&S in Berkely, Ma.

They are out of Vermonts for the next 3 weeks.
They had a load come in on Friday and it was gone same day.
Good news is they are willing to sell 1/2 tons when they do come in.

---Nailer---

FYI
I just called June at J&S in Berkely, Ma.

They are out of Vermonts for the next 3 weeks.
They had a load come in on Friday and it was gone same day.
Good news is they are willing to sell 1/2 tons when they do come in.

---Nailer---
Awesome

That's crazy. I guess it's just a matter of time before someone starts marketing "boutique" pellets for the esoteric pellet pig. Anyone want to burn some ultra super fine, old growth Brazilian rosewood and cocobolo heartwood pellets imported from the deep dark amazon? Engineered using the latest spectrometer analyzed mixing for absolute superior combustion. Packaged in the very finest virgin plastic. ::-)

I think at those prices I would let the dead dinosaurs start flowing.
in that case, I would go back to Home depot shoulder pellets since the Aim is to keep warm, not mortgage the house..

I picked up a couple of bags today at TSC. I've never heard of them before. But they are called Minuteman. The bag is marked as being 100% softwood. Wonder what kind of softwood they are. Because they are dark in color much darker them the hard wood I'm burning now.

I love softwood. All I have been burning for over a year now. I use Crabbe's and both my Quad and 55trpah do great with them... last week the local dealer ran out so when they came in I bought 2 tons at once and will be getting another ton next week... I sure don't want to have to go to Walmart or TSC for their crappy pellets...

Prices much better in Berkley. Okanagan douglas fir 360 a ton.
Wow I guess I will stop complaining. Pellets here are $240 per ton (Crabbes), $280 for the NEWP though I think they are junk.

you got to be freaking kidding!!!
That's last year when 'people' (insert the word I'm really wanting to say here) were paying up to $15 a bag!

Holy crap! I just read that other post that they are BACK paying outrageous prices for those super duper platinum gold-filled premium pellets!

I have posted a few times over the years about the fuel prices at Cape Cod Stove Center.

Their prices are always high. Crazy high!!.

I guess their business model allows them to not work hard at moving volume.

Had a cabinetmaker buddy of mine years ago that did that too.
He charged super high prices but worked a lot less. It worked for him. Gave him plenty of free time.

To each his/her own. It must be working for them because they are still in business.

---Nailer---
"There's a sucker born every minute"

That's last year when 'people' (insert the word I'm really wanting to say here) were paying up to $15 a bag!

Holy crap! I just read that other post that they are BACK paying outrageous prices for those super duper platinum gold-filled premium pellets!
Try TSC horse bedding pellets. Five bucks a bag.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.