solar dryer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpho

Jul 24, 2014
canada
Was pondering what to do with some scrap lumber laying around and doodled up a sketch of a solar wood dryer for that wood I just didn't get split early enough.

The "solar panel" is just a 1/2" sheet of ply painted black, 2 2x4's on edge covered with plastic or maybe a sheet of salvaged patio slider glass. Make the fire wood box with a elevated rack in it so the air can get up under the stacked wood.
Easy peasy!

If you want more heat, you can slow the air down in the panel by laying 2x's on edge so the air has to move through a simple maze.

Or I could be Way out to lunch!

Caution! will get VERY hot.
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.43.36 AM.png

Looks like an interesting plan. I wonder if having the intake sitting on the ground, or close to it, will end up drawing moister air though. The warmer air can of course hold more, but it almost seems like it would negate some of the effect. Just painting the roof black, on an uninsulated shed, will get you some good solar gain. That, and a little box fan, might be more effective.

The only other critique would be, it might be a pain in the neck to get the wood up and down from there.

GREAT POINTS Shawn!

Ya, the moisture might be an issue, but probably not a major one...tilt the panel a bit more away from the ground maybe.

Now getting the wood up in there is more of a concern....but to be honest I wasn't thinking about it for a cord or anything...Just a bit of moist wood.
That emergency dryer kind of thing.

Maybe hinge it so you can tip it out...or a bottom that drops out.
Or a sherpa who will do all that for you.

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Haha yeah go with the sherpa. They can probably carry an entire cord up there in 1 trip.

Hey...how do you like your echo?
Just got one and has been great so far...though it has a bit of a jangly rattle sound when it's idling...yours?

Hey...how do you like your echo?
Just got one and has been great so far...though it has a bit of a jangly rattle sound when it's idling...yours?
I like my Echo - got mine for Christmas last year, so you can't beat the price. Don't see a whole lot of people using them, but mine runs great. No jangly sound idling that I've noticed though? Might want to have the dealer check that out. I just wish I had a bigger bar.

Thanks...I'll take her in.

Status
Not open for further replies.