Solar Eclipse 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
corona_outer.png corona_inner.png

These are still from my 6 minute HD video using my iPhone.

Had a great view from Enosburg, VT, with my GF and my 23 yo.

The photos don't do justice to what I could see through my Canon IS binocs. But are a nice memento. :)

These are still from my 6 minute HD video using my iPhone.

Had a great view from Enosburg, VT, with my GF and my 23 yo.

The photos don't do justice to what I could see through my Canon IS binocs. But are a nice memento. :)
Fantastic capture of the prominences. It's nice that your kiddo could be with you. My son came with me in 2017 and we had a great time.

Reactions: woodgeek
This was taken by someone in Saranac Lake NY yesterday.

1712706680287.png

Just outside Toledo Ohio on the Lee A. Tregurtha taken by Austin Bir.

1712707653695.png

I think this was posted on U - Local New Hampshire, this photo was taken (I think) by Michelle Chretien.
1712708318105.png

A short imgur movie of the end of totality and the diamond ring...

Reactions: begreen
Yes, for sure not right; far too low for the sun position in April around 3.30 pm...

I saw similar pics from Toronto. There's a lot of fake images going around.

AFAIK this one is real. Taken in Charleston, West Virginia by astrophotographer, Daniel Miller with a double stack of hydrogen alpha filters.

d miller sun.jpg

This one was a happy accident shot by Justin Lamiel.

436575562_1896024320853476_8261857222303986202_n.jpg

Last edited:
In 2017 the sun was pretty quiet, but now it's really active and some great flare shots were caught. This is by Nick Proudfoot.

436424324_7930047337007441_4722260811464175795_n.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Everyone talks about the diamond, but to me that is just okay . What I'm looking for in the pictures are flares - now those are cool.

(disclaimer, I was in the 96% path, so didn't see totality first hand. Maybe if I had seen it in person instead of seeing pics/videos, I would feel differently)

I never dropped the cash for a Hydrogen alpha rig. They used to be $2k just for the temperature controlled filter.

A small plane flew in front of the sun during the partial. I was showing folks on my iPhone screen at the time, but not recording.

Everyone talks about the diamond, but to me that is just okay . What I'm looking for in the pictures are flares - now those are cool.

(disclaimer, I was in the 96% path, so didn't see totality first hand. Maybe if I had seen it in person instead of seeing pics/videos, I would feel differently)

Totally agree. The diamond is just what you see at the end. I am in it for the corona.... a big white flower in the sky that you can trace out several times the diameter of the moon, in binoculars.

This is a cool sequence captured by Mark Dieker of the eclipse over the Meacham Southern Baptist Church outside Kinmundy, IL.
Mark Dierker.jpg