Solar Eclipse 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My current plan is to drive to Plattsburgh NY, just W of Lake Champlain.

And sleep in my Volt Sunday night in 'camping mode'.

Reactions: begreen
In NYS, Buffalo, Rochester, and Lake Champlain north should be great or far north VT for the best experience. A partial view is not too spectacular.

eclipse path.jpg

Bring a collander and a sheet of white paper with you for some interesting shadow castings.

In NYS, Buffalo, Rochester, and Lake Champlain north should be great or far north VT for the best experience. A partial view is not too spectacular.

View attachment 326486

Bring a collander and a sheet of white paper with you for some interesting shadow castings.
Good tip. I'm bringing a 4" solar scope with an adapter for my iphone, my 16x solar binocs (built in filters) and 3 pairs of astro binocs (including my Canon image stabilized) for viewing the corona/prominences.

Weather forecast is deteriorating, but still acceptable.

the cartoon is correct, and also "off"; Long island is around 89%, and it's nowhere near the path of totality (in hours driving)...

Anyway, indeed, if you go, go for totality. Huuuge difference.
Or, in other words, 1% of the sun still puts out a TON of light.

Reactions: woodgeek
Sun_2024-04-06 at 1.06.40 PM.png

Test image taken with my 4 year old iphone, still from video.

McKim will be at the summit of Whiteface for the eclipse, where the University of Albany recently installed a 4K camera, which will be livestreaming the eclipse at tinyurl.com/3366f7sw.

The info above came from the Adirondack Daily Enterprise.

I am in Plattsburgh NY with my oldest and GF, near the centerline. Walked into a Comfort Inn and haggled a cheap room at 9.30PM. ;lol

Beats sleeping in the Volt.

Currently clear here, but forecast to have thin clouds come in at 2PM, vs 3.30PM totality. So we might drive into Northern VT.

I’m kicking my self for not dragging all 7 of us somewhere in totality. But the amount of effort that would require didn’t seem worth it when the decisions needed to be made. I’ll catch another one somewhere someday.

You didn't go to TN in '17?
Or maybe the kids were not at an age they could appreciate it back then..

I’m kicking my self for not dragging all 7 of us somewhere in totality. But the amount of effort that would require didn’t seem worth it when the decisions needed to be made. I’ll catch another one somewhere someday.
Next one is in 18 yrs. I think.

August 12 2045 (total, in the lower 48)

There is one in Aug 23, 2044 but only touching 3 US states. The rest will be in Canada though I suspect the family will have fledged by then regardless. If you want to take the family, NASA says the next total eclipse will be Aug. 12, 2026 but in Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal. Could be a nice trip.

Reactions: bigealta
August 12 2045 (total, in the lower 48)
Totality will occur in my home town on the KS/CO border. I’m going to put it on my calendar. Told the kids to meet me there in 21 years….. definitely won’t have to fight any crowds there.

The temp cooled off five degrees once we were at full Eclipse with a red dot showing at the location 7 would be on your clock. No different sounds either except the woodpecker that was going pretty good stopped.

Next one is in 18 yrs. I think.
Umm, that should have been 18 months. I'm glad the clouds parted in Texas and lots of people there got to see the totality. How was the NY/VT experience?

1712619592580.png
A photo of the eclipse taken at the Raquette River Pub in Colton during their eclipse party. Photo submitted by Calvin Corrigan, Clarkson University Student.

We were not in the path of totality here in Virginia, but we enjoyed the event anyway. We had several methods for watching the event. We made pinhole projectors, which actually worked quite well. We had ISO-approved glasses, and we used the leaves on a flowering crabapple tree as natural projectors. The trick was to find a screen, so we hauled some white construction materials to my mom’s front yard before things got started. The focus was a little off, but it was still fun.

We had clear skies for the start of the event, so this was a shot of the projections through the tree leaves a good half hour or more before the peak here.
IMG_3821.jpeg

A lot of clouds moved in before the peak of our event, but we still had breaks and gaps and saw a lot of the progress.

IMG_3827.jpeg

The last two shots below were near our peak here. Even though we were only in the eighty percent band, the temperature did drop several degrees. It was quite noticeable. One photo is through the filter; the other is a picture of the paper screen in the back of my cardboard-box pinhole projector.
IMG_3829.jpegIMG_3831.jpeg

The shadow casting is cool. I hope my SIL brought a collander with her. She was headed to Northern VT with a friend.

Locally...

wa.jpg

Actually, the day of the 2017 eclipse was nice and clear.

Definitely worth my three mile hike on snowshoes to North Percy mountain in Northern NH with a great view to the west. Its a large granite dome that sticks up 2000 feet from the valley below. Considering the area got 18" of snow 5 days ago and 20 inches the snow about 2 weeks ago the snow had melted off quite a bit. For such a remote place, I had plenty of company but the exposed area of the summit is a couple of acres so if folks wanted privacy they could have it. When I got there early way of in the distance, there was a trace of high clouds 100 miles to the west, they never made it to my location but I think they added to the color of the sky as the eclipse approached from the west. It reminded me of sunset out over the Pacific. I was south of the center of the eclipse so totality was only one minute 20 second but the options of getting high on a mountain with a long view west that could be accessed from a public road were pretty slim and private logging roads were all closed.

I am about 25 miles from the trailhead from my house (outside the path of totality). Coming home post eclipse,the first 10 miles went was clear going with no signficnt traffic, but then I hit bumper to bumper traffic where two south bound highways intersect coming out of the path of totality. What would normally take me 15 minutes took me close to 2 hours to get home from there. No doubt this was repeated all the way down to southern New England.

Still a very incredible day, I had considered flying elsewhere a year ago as the chances of a blue sky day in April in Northern NH were very low. Turns out VT, NH and Maine seems to have hit the jackpot. I had the plan ready not really expecting it would happen and it did. The only bummer is my cell phone despite a filter would not take a good eclipse photo but I did take this shot of the presidential range with Mt Washington 40 miles to the south. Definitely worth the hike to get totality and no one hawking T shirts. I know a few folks who are hooked on traveling to eclipses and can see the attraction.
20240408_104847[1].jpg

It was fun here. Blue sky the whole time. Nothing like totality.

IMG_0321.jpeg

Looking at a likelihood a long sit in traffic we planned to stay home. That lasted until 11:00 AM when we just couldn’t. Headed NW on as many sparsely used roads as we could to a very small town an hour and a half away. Got some sandwiches and found a church parking lot up on a knoll, looking out over an moderate expanse, that we shared with folks in five other vehicles and a pleasant young pastor who chatted everyone up. Maine did catch a huge weather break for this time of year. When those bodies, that we routinely see, converged and with that corona it was something to behold. That 1.20 min. or so was brief but still satisfying. I feel bad for friends who had been pumped for this event for a while. They were visiting inside but close to the edge of the path. They drove just a short distance to a hill top for a better view and took themselves out of it, quite a different experience. For us not deep into the path and with a pretty good escape route the traffic home didn’t live up to our fears.

Reactions: EbS-P