Solar Roadways

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an innovative product that could revolutionize roads, parking lots, etc. as we know them. And it generates power.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

Very interesting. I particularly like the "smart parking lot" idea. Not so sure about heating them to melt snow/ice - it seems that could burn a tremendous amount of energy.

Challenges I see include the cost on an installed system - I imagine one would have to consider their value as water management and driving surface in order to cost justify it - but maybe that can be done. I wonder how well their glass surface would wear over time and keeping it clean could prove difficult (sunlight doesn't travel through dirt too well eh?).

Glad there are folks getting funding to try new ideas - and trying to solve multiple issues at the same time to boot.

Run a plow over it, see how it holds up.

Reactions: Ashful
The Honeymooners
Better Living Through TV 1955

Ralph's latest get-rich-quick scheme involves raising $200 to purchase 2,000 "Handy Housewife Helpers," thereby cornering the Brooklyn franchise for this not exactly in demand gadget. Alice refuses to bankroll Ralph's scheme, citing his various other "surefire" business enterprises, including no-calorie pizza and wallpaper that glows in the dark. Thus, Ralph enlists Ed in his newest venture, whereupon the two buddies purchase air time on a local TV station to advertise the Handy Housewife Helper to the eager public. Playing respectively "The Chef of the Past" and "The Chef of the Future," Ed and Ralph go through the rehearsal of their commercial with the greatest of ease -- but when airtime actually comes, Ralph panics at the notion of being seen by millions of "Late Late Show" aficionados. Though the script by Marvin Marx and Walter Stone contains some hilarious verbal bits ("Can it core -- a -- apple?"), some of the episode's funniest moments were completely ad-libbed, notably Ralph's reaction to a malfunctioning prop ("Maybe we oughta say somethin' about spear-fishing") and the collapsing set at fadeout time ("Now back to Charlie Chan!"). "Better Living Through TV" first aired on November 12, 1955.

Watch: http://www.myretroflix.com/tv/honeymooners/HONEYMOONERS_BetterLivingThruTV.html

ShowPictureTV.asp

Run a plow over it, see how it holds up.

That was my primary concern also. I would think that in heavy snow areas the rate of snowfall at times will exceed the melting ability of the grid. I sent Scott an email with this question.

T-shirt and mug will be collectors, pun intended, items.

T-shirt and mug will be collectors, pun intended, items.

Yup for those who collect such things...

Growing up I was attracted to the allure of "collector" items... lucky for me I didn't have the budget to 'invest' in such things...

Early tests show these panels to be tougher than asphalt roadways, but the real obstacle I think to this idea will be the cost. It is a great idea for regions that are mostly sunny and are relatively close to urban areas. They should reduce heat absorption and release of dark roads and parking lots which is an issue in southern cities. But I don't see them being practical in northern locations, due to heavy snow loads and also due to the winter sun angle. They would have no value in shaded areas and canyons. Still, I give them credit for stimulating the imagination and producing an interesting concept.

The other link however, for covering major water canals in sunny areas with solar panels is quite an interesting idea. It kills two birds with one stone by producing power and reducing evaporation. We have similar canals delivering Colorado River water through the desert.

Arizona_cap_canal.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.