Solar wood dryer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larry3228

Oct 29, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Most of us stack our wood outside and expose it to the sun and wind to dry it over the course of a few seasons to a few years. It's simple, cheap and not so fast. I bumped into this video on large solar food dehydrators. If they were made a bit sturdier and larger they could hold most of a cord. I wonder how much faster the wood would dry?

I often think of framing a small greenhouse lime wood shed but use plastic on the sides with a vent on top. Then use a solar panel to run a cheap fan ... Box fan or 2. And wonder how fast the wood would dry out ...? It would have a constant breeze ? Or put a dehumidifier with.a box fan in a wood shed?

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!

I have dried splits of Birch down to under 20% moisture in 6 months in our open greenhouse which acts as our solar drier.

Make sure you have good air circulation, warmth and lack of circulation will be a real mould factory.

Best way if you are thinking about spending money is to buy extra wood, get yourself 2 or 3 years ahead, and stay ahead.

That way you won't have to think about how dry your wood is or what variety dries the quickest.

When I started I spent good time measuring moisture when I should have been stashing away several years supply ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.