Sold On Stihl Chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinNC

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2010
Leicester, NC
Having cut 10 or so cords of wood in the last year, I gotta say that the Stihl saw chain stays sharper so much longer than Oregon or Carlton. The Carlton chain would come in second. I won't be buying anymore Oregon chains unless something changes.

I'm sold on the skip tooth chain for my 372xp. If they made it in .325 pitch I would be running it on my small saw(s) as well.

I just wanted to put this out there. I believe I read on here that the Stihl chain was better so I tried one, maybe others will too.

Ja, I really like my Stihl RS chain. They cut like a hot knife through butta. Just picked up two new loops today. Hopefully they should last me a few years.

I can buck up 10 cord on just two sharpenings. Those are 4x4x8, not talking face cords.

+1, good chains. I have a bunch and have been a fan for sometime. Agree on the RS as well. With a few chains and a grinder you'll never have to wait or be down with a "less sharp" chain. Nothing worse than that feeling of cutting with a dull or crappy chain.

MarkinNC said:
Having cut 10 or so cords of wood in the last year, I gotta say that the Stihl saw chain stays sharper so much longer than Oregon or Carlton. The Carlton chain would come in second. I won't be buying anymore Oregon chains unless something changes.

I'm sold on the skip tooth chain for my 372xp. If they made it in .325 pitch I would be running it on my small saw(s) as well.

I just wanted to put this out there. I believe I read on here that the Stihl chain was better so I tried one, maybe others will too.

Running some Husky chains on my stihl 660, they seem to eat up the beech.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3250.jpg
    100_3250.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 405
Do they make anything besides safety chain for a MS390? I'd be interested in one of them there kick a$$ four barrel, hydroponic, chiseled, full skip-to-my-Lou chains to go with my tricked out, muffler modded 390.

zapny said:
MarkinNC said:

Running some Husky chains on my stihl 660, they seem to eat up the beech.

zap

I am with zap you either have it or you dont.......Sharpening skill will over come any chain....Nothing is perfect and they all have there place! :p

smokinjay said:
.....Sharpening skill will over come any chain...
All other things being equal, skill may prevail on speed of cut but for longevity of the edge, Stihl sure beats any Oregon chain I ever used. Running Oregon chain, I often had to touch it up after every tank of gas.

I was able to cut up about 4 or 5 cord of red oak on two sharpenings of Stihl full chisel chain. I have a loop of full skip, semi chisel that I have to sharpen a little more often, but it only takes a couple minutes. They really do hold their edge for a long time, but are very easy to sharpen.

I've found that they key to sharpening is a quality file. They cost more, but last longer, and you don't have to force them...so you're more likely to keep the correct angles.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
.....Sharpening skill will over come any chain...
All other things being equal, skill may prevail on speed of cut but for longevity of the edge, Stihl sure beats any Oregon chain I ever used. Running Oregon chain, I often had to touch it up after every tank of gas.

Yes they will, it is a great chain big money too. On the milling side I see no advantage at all. I have race woodland pro vs stihl rs and the rs won! (with all that I still run woodland pro most of the time) RS is 2x's the price it isnt that good. jmo

Kenster said:
Do they make anything besides safety chain for a MS390? I'd be interested in one of them there kick a$$ four barrel, hydroponic, chiseled, full skip-to-my-Lou chains to go with my tricked out, muffler modded 390.

Yep, take your saw to the shop and tell them to make up a Stihl RS chain to fit it. Then you can hang on to the safety stuff for cutting in bad places (dirty, possible steel, etc.).

Jags said:
Kenster said:

Yep, take your saw to the shop and tell them to make up a Stihl RS chain to fit it. Then you can hang on to the safety stuff for cutting in bad places (dirty, possible steel, etc.).

Rs is no longer being produced! ;-) Now What? lol rsc is the new rs! Some shops will still have some.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Kenster said:

Rs is no longer being produced! ;-) Now What? lol rsc is the new rs! Some shops will still have some.

Yeah - your right - I have been cutting awhile, so the ol brain just reverted back to what I think I know. :lol:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
Kenster said:

Yeah - your right - I have been cutting awhile, so the ol brain just reverted back to what I think I know. :lol:

There is still a lot of the rs new chain out there. Couple rolls of it put back could turn a nice profit in a couple more years.

What does "RS" and "RSC" mean? Is the only way to get this type of chain by custom made? Nothing off the shelf?

What should I expect for cost vs standard Stihl safety chain? Last Stihl chain I bought cost about $20.00 for a 16 incher.

I've got a huge water oak waiting for me when I ever I want to get to it. (Probably will wait until cooler times). It's going to be a stretch to buck the trunk butt with a 16 inch bar. But I have very little need for a longer bar.

Kenster said:
What does "RS" and "RSC" mean? Is the only way to get this type of chain by custom made? Nothing off the shelf?

What should I expect for cost vs standard Stihl safety chain? Last Stihl chain I bought cost about $20.00 for a 16 incher.

I've got a huge water oak waiting for me when I ever I want to get to it. (Probably will wait until cooler times). It's going to be a stretch to buck the trunk butt with a 16 inch bar. But I have very little need for a longer bar.

For full confusion, go here for the chain description: http://www.stihlusa.com/chain-guide-bar/saw-chain.html

Your probably looking at a couple of bucks more for the RSC

Edit: there are some shops that will have loops already made up. Box stores ain't the place to be to get Stihl RSC chain.

Jags said:
Kenster said:

For full confusion, go here for the chain description: http://www.stihlusa.com/chain-guide-bar/saw-chain.html

Edit: there are some shops that will have loops already made up. Box stores ain't the place to be to get Stihl RSC chain.

I have two great, small town type Stihl dealers nearby that are well stocked and knowledgeable. I'll check them out.

From reading that web page (above Sthil link) it looks like an RSC or RSF (for full skip) would work well for my saw, which takes 3/8", .050 chain.

I also have a friend in Dallas that is a Stihl dealer so I've asked his advise as to what might be good for me in the way of a yellow chain.

Kenster said:
Jags said:
Kenster said:

I have two great, small town type Stihl dealers nearby that are well stocked and knowledgeable. I'll check them out.

From reading that web page (above Sthil link) it looks like an RSC or RSF (for full skip) would work well for my saw, which takes 3/8", .050 chain.

I also have a friend in Dallas that is a Stihl dealer so I've asked his advise as to what might be good for me in the way of a yellow chain.

A 390 running a 16" bar has no need for a full skip chain. Full skip is designed for saws running long bars that don't have enough HP to keep the RPMs up. Fewer cutters biting the wood = less HP to pull it. You have more than enough saw to pull a 16" bar with all its teeth.

Jags said:
Kenster said:
Jags said:
Kenster said:

And then some, very fast set-up!

A 390 running a 16" bar has no need for a full skip chain. Full skip is designed for saws running long bars that don't have enough HP to keep the RPMs up. Fewer cutters biting the wood = less HP to pull it. You have more than enough saw to pull a 16" bar with all its teeth.

So, Jags, do you think the RSC would be a good for the 390 to give me a more aggressive saw for all the hardwoods I cut?

Kenster said:
So, Jags, do you think the RSC would be a good for the 390 to give me a more aggressive saw for all the hardwoods I cut?

Yes - absolutely. Keep it sharp and it will cut like a light saber.

Kenster said:

I was ready to sh*itcan my 270, then I went and bought a new rsc chain, and went from 18" to 16". Night and day. Just do it.

I just found a two pack of the exact RSC for my saw: 16 inch. 3/8, .050, 60 link. For $32.00 with free shipping. New in box.

Looks like a good deal. Is it?

Kenster said:
I just found a two pack of the exact RSC for my saw: 16 inch. 3/8, .050, 60 link. For $32.00 with free shipping. New in box.

Yea thats pretty good! Dealersip would be around 45.00

Kenster said:

I hope your busy ordering it. Even if there is free shipping, thats only 16 bucks per chain. That is a good deal. Where the heck are you buying stihl chain on the interweb?

Status
Not open for further replies.