Solo Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Anyone here burn in one of these stoves? My daughter got us one. We plan on using over Christmas. It looks like you can burn this on the wood deck, which concerns me.

Any suggestions?

I would not burn it on a (wooden) deck. And keep a distance of 20 ft or so from combustible structures. Better safe than sorry.
They do burn "smokeless" - not all the time. And if you have a roaring fire, embers can still fly out.

Having water (bucket, hose) ready is always a good idea. You may never need it, but better to have it than to be in need of it.

My mother in law has a smaller one. She burns it on her wood deck. I believe that she has it up on a couple cinder blocks though. They are nice, but not worth the money IMO.

Anyone here burn in one of these stoves? My daughter got us one. We plan on using over Christmas. It looks like you can burn this on the wood deck, which concerns me.

Any suggestions?
Says you need to use the ring stand. Personally it seems risky but I imagine the risk probably equivalent to any flaming device on the porch. I think the bottom may be double double layer. Is chews through dry wood at an amazing rate.

i'de rather just use a stainless washer drum, probably where they got the idea.
Sorry didn't see that it was a gift, my buddy has one and takes it camping (car camping) in okanawa.
1640220362228.jpeg

E818109B-CFCF-488E-9AC7-F69DCADF441B.jpeg

Last edited:
It's double walled, and provides secondary (heated) air at the top. It's nice to see burning. (But I wouldn't spend that much on an outside fireplace - howei, if given to me, I'd be quite happy to play with it!)

Everyone I know who has one really likes it. I would definitely prop it up on some pavers or something on a wooden deck, though...even with the stand.

If you do, buy or build a screen top for it.
I've got one ( a gift) and like it but...it will pop out the occasional large burning ember or two or three or four or...
I would not use it on a wood deck without a screen.

Reactions: stoveliker