Solution for Harman P-68 slide plate squeak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickwa

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2009
ohio
The new feeder design has a slide plate that the end turns up on a slight angle to help push fine into feeder in theory. The old style slide plate was just a straight flat edge. What we found was the slight angle up on the end of the slide plate actually lets fine slip under the slide plate. They build up under the plate and the beveled edge comes up and contacts the top of the feeder and does the "nails on the chalk board" effect. We flattened the end of the slide plate so it was like the old one and it has not squeaked once. Harman knows what our solution was, I dont know if they have done anything about it yet. Hope this helps someone, Or give the you fellow service techs some info to go to Harman with. Most of the time you get "You are the first One to call about that" ????

Do the newer Accentra Inserts have the same slide plate that is curved? Could this design contribute to the pellets bridging occasionally?

I've run mine hard all season and she's 3 weeks dirty, I haven't heard a peep out of it, beside a little auger squeal when she hasn't been run hot enough.

I'll keep my ears out for it though, thanks for the tip!

Are you talking about reference # 13? Reference # 10 fines deflector comes out too for cleaning. I see they made 2 styles auger feeder assembly depending on serial number. My neighbors 3 year old P38 is super quiet. I see what you mean, the tech was here and took mine out, ended up being auger motor, used only 30 bags since new...

Attachments

• Pellet Stove.jpg
    Pellet Stove.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,004
I think Harman came out with the new "smaller" feed system somewhere around early to mid 2008. My P38 has the smaller feed system with slide plate that bends up at the end. Havent heard a peep out of it. Certainly if a bag of pellets has alot of fines then that could cause some issues. Glad you were able to get that squeek to go away. Hope she stays quiet for ya the rest of the season.

ok, so my 07 p68 squeaks at the end of seasons, like right about now, been trying things such as vac out slideplate of fines and scrape out auger area of carbon, this combo will stop the squeak. I would love to take out my slideplate and see if theres anything more to it, however I don't know how, any advice , is it easy?

It takes a little to get to it. Sometimes it can be a pain to get out. The best way to get to it would be to take off the 4 pannels in the back. I would highly recommend unplugging the stove first, the control pannel is right in that same area as the slide plate. Take the cover off of the fines box, should be a single wing nut in the center or the bottom of the cover. Once you have the cover off you should be able to pull the slide plate out depending on what position the auger is in. you may need to take the auger motor off as well to make sure the pusher arm moves freely. There is a quick way you can find out what is on the end of the slide plate without doing all of that. When the hopper is empty you will be looking straight down at the slide plate and you can feel inside of the opening to find out if your slide plate is curved at the end.

thanks for that info, just one thing, if I am feeling my slideplate with a finger to see if it's cueved at the end am I looking for a curve of the plate going down or is it just sort of curved at the end, sort of soft, rather than a sharp edge? As far as the slideplate removal, it's just sitting in my fines box, no screws, I can just pull it out?

The curve at the end of the slide plate will be curved upwards at about a 45 degree angle.

My Accentra Insert was installed in early Feb of this year. Within the first two weeks of operation, the pellets bridged a couple of times
and I had to clear the opening by hand to free them. One time, however, that did not work and I ended up accessing the feeder chamber
where a good amount of fines and some pellets had collected. I,inadvertantly, removed the slide plate while I was cleaning the chamber.
After reading this thread and seeing the diagram, I realized that I put the slide plate in the wrong way. I didn't know at the time that was the slide plate.
It's in a verticle position rather than horizontal, which I assume makes it useless.

What's odd is that this doesn't appear to have had a negative affect on the stove. My pellet consumption didn't noticebly change afterwards.
The pellets never overflow and the temperature I set in Room Temp mode is maintained accurately. On the plus side, I haven't had a pellet bridging
problem since.

Does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.