Some more questions with pics as well....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
OK, so I am trying to figure 2 things here.

1) How do I know for sure if I have outside air? In the pics attached, you will see a vent in my fireplace currently that seems to come from under the actual firebox. Also, you will see a pic of the outside of my chimney and that little register or sorts that is about 4 feet off the ground. Is this an air intake? It would seem to be as I can't figure what else on earth that register could be.

2) How do I figure the height of my chimney. I measured from the top "lip" of the chimney to the ground and it's 14". But if you figure that the foundation as well as the height of the box itself add about 3-4 feet, I am at roughly 10'????? Then do you also add in the silver portion of the top cap which is about 2' roughly. I'm trying to get the exact way you measure for the liner. I mispoke in my previous posts, the whole on the top of the firebox is 8" across not 6" across. Is this indicative of the rest of the chimney pipe?

Thanks again for everyone being so helpful with these basic questions.

Attachments

• outside air (Medium).JPG
    outside air (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 470
  • vent (Medium).JPG
    vent (Medium).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 506
  • cap (Medium).JPG
    cap (Medium).JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 460
Patience is a virtue.. It`s saturday nite. :cheese:

Have you tried having someone else blow smoke into that outside venty looking thing while you watched inside to see if any thing happens ?

Next time you have a fire going I suppose you could hold a candle or blow out a crumpled sheet of lit newspaper by that vent and observe any movement of airflow. If it's not obvious at first be prepared to stick something like a wet rag in there to close down the opening somewhat just might make it easier to detect any air movement.

If you have a leaf blower!blow it into the vent and see if that works.I would make sure fireplace is clean first or you may find a mess from the blowing.

Can't imagine what that screened penetration would be other than an outside combustion air supply. Should be easy enough to verify, in any of a number simple ways. Rick

tlhfirelion said:
OK, so I am trying to figure 2 things here.

1) How do I know for sure if I have outside air? In the pics attached, you will see a vent in my fireplace currently that seems to come from under the actual firebox. Also, you will see a pic of the outside of my chimney and that little register or sorts that is about 4 feet off the ground. Is this an air intake? It would seem to be as I can't figure what else on earth that register could be.

Block the vinyl side of that wall vent. Get a fragrance candle, cut it to 1/3 the opening, ignite it, go inside, stick nose near suspected air port in heater. This usually works for those not nasally challenged. :coolsmile:

2) How do I figure the height of my chimney. I measured from the top "lip" of the chimney to the ground and it's 14". But if you figure that the foundation as well as the height of the box itself add about 3-4 feet, I am at roughly 10'????? Then do you also add in the silver portion of the top cap which is about 2' roughly. I'm trying to get the exact way you measure for the liner. I mispoke in my previous posts, the whole on the top of the firebox is 8" across not 6" across. Is this indicative of the rest of the chimney pipe?

Flat foot roof with 25’ tape in pocket, remove rain cap, insert tape until wife sees it in the heater, note measurement, disembark roof, tell any watching neighbor(s) that you are known to sometimes go ape. Forget about being invited to the block party. :)

I'll give that leaf blower a try AFTER I clean it out. lol. Thank you for everyones help!

I'd use a strong incense stick burning outside of the intake on a calm, cool day. You could have some one blow on it towards the intake or use a shop vac on the interior near where you believe the air supply port is.

Thats a good idea but I live in south west missouri. and it's june. there will be no more calm cool days until about Nov. 1st. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.